I Forge Iron

Spark Testing Steel

I hope that I have put this in the right section ...

Ran across this link that does a very decent job of explaining the different spark results created when we run something against a grinder looking for an answer about what it the heck it is. I looked for a while with the search feature, but couldn't find what I need ... maybe this will help someone identify that favorite scrounged chunk of metal.

https://secure.wikim...i/Spark_testing

:rolleyes:

What one really needs is a library of samples of know materials. They don't need to be big, but big enough to hold onto while comparing to other samples. This way the unknown is tested, then the believed known.

Unless you are really good at it from spark testing often....

That link is handy.

Phil

Folks that might be a good trade item at some meeting. A group of people go out and buy *KNOWN* alloys and cut them into useful sized "try" pieces and MARK THEM and then exchange them at the meeting so that all the participants get a full set.

Wrought iron, Cast iron, 1020, A36, 4130, 4340, 5160.....

Well, that would be true, if the drawings were acurate. Looks like they have things backwards. Wrought iron is more like B in the lower drawing, not A. Wrought just has straight lines to it, no carbon bursts. Almost all smithing books have better drawings than these. One must be careful of the internet.

Randy is correct. Check the one for high speed steel too. Just get some old pieces of steel from cheap broken garage sale tools. There are more reliable ones around, such as the ones on youtube, where the person actually shows the item being tested. Otherwise, someone can just draw what they "see", a very liberal interpretation of the word. Even the drawings on a blueprint on this site are open to criticism.

The accuracy of line drawings when compared to real life is always suspect, and comparing someone's spark test is different from your own spark test because your lighting, grit, wheel material, wheel diameter and rpm are probably different from my *all of the above* Even if I took color photographs and video of my samples (which my sample library is poor and small) and posted them for you, when you spark test the results may look different to you on your equipment.

Having your own sample library is the best answer, and stamping the name into the sample is probably a good idea, at least for the softer samples.

Phil

• 5 years later...

I found a piece of steel in my grandfathers basement, I’m currently making a file knife for my father and compared the sparks of the file and mystery steel and it appears it could be close to 1045 from some charts I’ve seen, could I get a second opinion on wether to use it for a knife or not? I’ve never tried spark testing so I could be completely wrong here 

91C8ED71-C846-4E19-BA0A-F5009726A35A.jpeg