I Forge Iron

Newest Score

So this morning I found an add on craiglist that simply described this anvil as a "large anvil"

I do not know the weight of this anvil just yet, but I do know that it took 2 of us and it was everything we could do to get it into the back of the truck. The pictures do not do it justice, the edges are in extremely good shape, very little use.

My mad money has long since run out, so that meant I had to call my brother in law.

bigboy1.jpg
Thats a 10.5 4E shoe on top of it. The anvil measures 37.5" from the tip of the horn to the heal. 2" hardy hole. Face is 5.5" across

bigboy2.jpg

bigboy3.jpg

Finding a deal on craiglist - Time
Exceptionally large and great conditioned anvil - $250
Being so happy about that anvil you forgot your wife was UNHAPPY - Priceless :)

Markings ? That was a great deal. The anvil should be worth three times what you paid. My anvil is the smaller sibling of yours, it is 31" long and has a 5 1/4" wide face. It weighs 308 lbs according to the markings. That means that yours will likely weigh 350 or more pounds. I paid $500 in 1991 after driving all over Penn looking for one. Back then the internet was a dream.

There are no markings, other than the weight markings, on mine, and I have always thought that it was a Brooks clone, so I will follow this thread with interest to see what others believe it to be.

The attached photo shows how I used a z clip to fasten mine down to my stump.

post-14777-0-56748300-1327677911_thumb.j

Tell your wife to contact me and I'll make her a great deal on it!

A 2x12 can make a good ramp to walk an anvil up into a truck bed----or get it started on the board and use a comealong to drag it the rest of the way. Worst thing to have a new big anvil but a messed up back so you can't use it!

For my 515# fisher we used an engine hoist...

I going on the feet having the straight lines and the general appearance...but could be wrong! Take a wire wheel buffer and give it a good cleaning paying close attention to the side with the bick/horn pointing to your right, the markings should show up. Also, PW did not mark the feet as in the Hay Buddens and Trentons. No matter who made it still a Cherrrrryyyy anvil for sure.

Well, being that it was dark when we got it, in the light today you can make out a 3 for the first number, and an 11 for the last... its either a 2 or a 3 in the middle, so its either 403 (by my calculations) or 431

Being marked in this fashion makes me think PW as well. Plus the profile looks almost Identical to one on ebay right now that weighs 385lbs.

Tell your wife to contact me and I'll make her a great deal on it!

A 2x12 can make a good ramp to walk an anvil up into a truck bed----or get it started on the board and use a comealong to drag it the rest of the way. Worst thing to have a new big anvil but a messed up back so you can't use it!

For my 515# fisher we used an engine hoist...

Thomas this is the greatest thing I have seen today. Like I said, I consider us both to be fairly strong and it was rough getting that thing into the back of the truck.. A simple 2x12 would have been amazing to just slowly walk it up or like you said, use a come along. Its just such an awkward shape to try to lift.

About 28 years ago I bought my first "shop anvil"---a 165# PW at a garage sale. When they asked me how I would load it I picked it up and carried it out to the car----it was about 10# heavier than I was back then!

A couple months later I had emergency surgery for my gallbladder and ended up with a 7" scar through all the muscles in my abdomen. I credit that scar for why my back is still fairly decent today. If not for it I would have probably continued to work dumb when doing heavy lifting.

Now roller's, ramps, come-alongs, chain hoists, levers are my *friends*.

Timber ramps and winching work well, but one of those cheap HF hydrauic lifts is another way to save the back for the lighter stuff up to about 500 lbs ( they say 1000 lbs but I that is with boom shortened which reduces utility). I have one on my trailer which proved real handy when I moved my shop. However a scrap lumber ramp is a good solution in a pinch.

To lift an anvil a length of strong rope tied end to end will form a sling to loop under both ends for lifting.

Nice deal you got on that anvil.
Thomas, Yeah, I remember the days of just up and lifting anvils, swage blocks and other things, then I injuried my back. I used to pick up my 300# Fisher and think nothing of it now I look at a forty pound of dog food and cring then look for someone young and healthy. When I first moved my 25#LG there were six of us and we layed it on a pallet and then put two by fours through the pallet and just lifted it into the truck bed, didn't seem all that heavy then but now I don't think I'd even attempt doing that with just my Fisher on a pallet. My how the years changes one perspective on lifting things.

It looks like a Hay Budden and based on your measurements should be in the 400# range. If you can get a clear picture of the markings on the side I could tell you the actual manufactured weight. Or you could look up the markings in "Anvils in America". Congratulations either way, great find.

Were haybudden's marked in the 3-2-11 format?
So far the only brands we have to compare it to are Haybudden and Peter Wright. We were leaning in the direction of PW based off of the shape of the feet. The HB we have (granted its only 133lbs) is a gradual taper right to the edge of the feet. The PW's we have (99lb, 153lb) have a bit of a deffined edge to the feet. Very similar to the one in Knots picture up above.

None of that means anything, but as of yet, the only markings we've been able to find are the 3-2-11 weight markings.

The it is definitly NOT a Hay Budden. HBs were made in the USA, Brooklyn, NY, and are stamped with actual weight. I still think it is a PW and the weight is 403#....That figures out to be $0.62 per/lb! I haven't heard of those prices in forever!!! (my original offer still stands :P )

Took that anvil to the forge council meeting on sat and everyone there said they thought it is a peter wright and wanted to give my money back and then went on to say that we should be ashamed of ourselfs for taking advantage of those who do not know what they have....
I told them all thanks for the id info and I was to happy to be ashamed of anything at this point.

• 2 weeks later...