I Forge Iron

Pattern Welded Contrast

First some information: I didn't put this in the knife section as I'm not looking at making any more knives, but some larger sculptural pieces. So the piece will not be heat treated. A finished product/billet of about 2" square by say a foot long when completed. Just a layered billet not mosaic damascus. I don't have any problem forge welding and I do it in the coal and gas forges. It's okay if the finished layers are 1/8" thick or more. So this is for looks, not function. I have done some damascus/pattern welding over the years so know something about the process.

Question: What materials would give me the best contrast? I should add that I don't plan to order the material from a knife dealer but will just go to my scrap pile or scrap dealer. So info in that regard will be most helpful. I did hit the other posts and they were knife related, didn't really say much about contrast or if it was more along the art lines didn't say what the materials were.

Any help and details are greatly appreciated.

I have been thinking of something similar. A layered billet of stainless/mild/stainless/mild... to make outdoor sculptures that the stainless layers would stay shiny. I have done no research on weldability of that combination or if the rusting mild will migrate to the stainless. I think it would be possible to etch the stainless to remove the iron contamination but would being in close contact make that futile?
I am watching your thread with interest, thank you for starting it.
r smith

If you do use circular saw blades make sure they are not the ones that have the teeth bonded on..those blades are not the material Doc mentioned above. It likely will not have the nickel in it.
Stainless billets are a whole nother ball game. you may want to read up some before you attempt that as the flux needed for the welding also has a desire to eat lung tissue.

something with nickle in for the bright, then something with maganese or chromium (i think) for dark. The more of each then the more distinct that colour will be.

So bandsaw blades (etch one to see if it is a nickle alloy, some are not and will be plain carbon steel, so dark etch) for the bright and springs for the dark (many spring steels have mananese in good amounts).

Otherwise colour and texture contrast. Such as wrought iron (pale with streaks) and springs (solid and pretty dark). Even mild and wrought will give the texture difference (ie solid and streaky, especially if its crappy wrought), this can be enhanced by dipping in sulphuric acid to eat away at the wrought more. Or bandsaw blades and mild for shiny and matt.

You could make a billet of various scrappy things and etch it to see what comes up?

Maybe I'll try the wrought iron and mild steel. If you know of a better scrap material to work with that I can get in thick pieces please let me know.

Hope it gives me a great contrast. What's the best etch to achieve this?

just ferric chloride works well

here is an example where i used wrought iron with mild iron
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=17653&view=&hl=seax&fromsearch=1

its good to work up a sample just so you know the etch characteristics of the wrought... as wrought is highly variable, and can have welding flaws already born into the metal, and even vary alot in terms of alloy...... mild also moves at a similar rate to wrought at high temp

as was stated... manganese does help to etch dark... eg) O2

good luck

Randy,
I'm not sure how "bold" you are lookin for, but this would be inexpensive if it's good enough. I hammered out some 5160 and mild steel today, while playing around. Leaf springs don't cost much, and nether does mild steel. I etched it twice in hydrachloric acid for about 20 min each time.

dsteell.png

Thanks everyone! I'm still open to other ideas. Really like to get as close to black and white as I can or brown and white.

I'm currently bundling up some mild steel with some highly refined wrought iron and also some not refined wrought iron. I'll keep it simple so I can see which is which and then etch to see how it works. I'll photo it as I go.

What's the best etch to use?

Randy,
The blackest black is O2 tool steel as Greg has stated and the Whitest white is Nickel 200 as Thomas says which is about 99% pure nickel.
HOWEVER
you get the best contrasts from highly polished surfaces.

You can get some good effects with stainless steel welded to carbon steel and wrought as well...though the welding techniques and forging temperatures (as well as how far you can twist and do other manipulations) are not your typical forge welding and will take time to master.

If you are not going to polish the surfaces then I suggest texture from "over etching" wrought welded to a high carbon steel with another steel (1018) thrown in here and there.
Have a look at some of Rick Smith's work from 15 years ago..his vessels. They are examples of this.

Etching:
You can lay out a shallow pan and line it with a thick garbage bag and etch with muratic..it will gove a deep etch in a few hours...check frequently to monitor...rinse with water and neutralize with ammonia. Oil quickly.

I think pattern-welded material is underutilized in sculpture. I have a few ideas drawn up, but no time to do them.

Ric

Thanks, Rick. Where do I find Rick Smith's vessels? Did a google and a search here with no luck.

I highly agree with you about the pattern welding and sculpture. The first Dona Meilach books, Decorative and Sculptural Ironwork, had some beautiful pattern welded pieces. I met one guy years ago at a show that did it with 1/2" thick or more finished layers for sculptural pieces. Incredible!

Randy,
I can make you plates that are as large as 1/2 x 5 x 30" if you wish. I can go bigger, but there are limitations for now.
http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Damascus_steel.html

Rick's vessels:
They were shown in the Anvil's ring a while back. Basically he welded up bits (the size of masonry nails) and some mosaic bars and joined them to plates and built larger vessels from those....I rather liked them as they showed a general carelessness and disregard for a material that so many knifemaker's hold dear.

Ric

Randy,
I suggest you look into mass finishing of those hats....a vibratory unit may be best to get into all the undercuts. There are many companies that offer the service.
It will leave a better surface for etching.
The better the finish the better the etch.

Ric