I Forge Iron

Torch??? Please Help

Soooooo

A while back I did a half trade on my 4x4-foot welding table. I got Harbor Freight's heavy duty torch kit (the $250 one.)

I'm still in the market for oxygen and acetylene tanks. Most of the sets on craigs come with torch head and tips. I don't mind that, as it would't hurt to have a backup and it's still cheaper than buying new tanks.

A while back, one of the members here suggested using oxy propane. Having propane would allow me to add a gas forge without too much trouble.

I recently posted wanted adds on craigslist for cutting torch tanks.

I got a reply from a guy with a 100 gallon propane tank he is willing to sell. He wants $75 for it.

So here are my questions.

I think that propane torches require different hoses. Are these much more expensive? Is that the only special thing I have to buy?
What are the cutting comparisons between oxy acetylene and oxy propane? Is one more difficult to use?
Is that a good price for a 100 gallon propane tank, and would such a tank even work for an oxy-propane torch?
Would it be wise to purchase the propane tank and continue searching for an oxygen bottle or wait for a good oxy acetylene rig?

Those are the questions I know to ask. If you have any other advice, lay it on me.

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::PJ

You need the grade T hose, all fuel, it costs about 2x what the grade r, acetylene only costs. This site lists a 25 ft hose for $30. You also need a propane or all fuel regulator (some regulators can be rebuilt for all fuel). Last piece is the torch tips. Take your torch head to the local welding gas and supply and ask, they may have compatible tips (ask about the hose too).

Phil

Pack up your equipment and visit your local welding supply dealer. They will have the proper answers to your questions.

Local dealers here WILL NOT touch gas tanks unless you are under contract with them. If you lease from dealer A, dealer B may or may not honor dealer A's contract and fill your tanks. You can purchase your own tanks and as long as you have your paperwork in hand, they will refill your tanks where you purchased them. Some dealers will honor the ownership papers and refill your tanks.

When you purchase a tank from the internet or flea market, unless it has the dealers sticker that you are under contract with, they will not touch it (my location and market).

Making friends with the local welding supply dealer can be a real advantage to you. I was low on gas and they gave me a full set of tanks to get me through the 3 day weekend. (paid only for the gas) Yes, Saturday night my tanks went dry, so I just switched over to the new tanks and finished the project. Returned the tanks with donuts included.

It helps to be able to talk to someone with experience when you run into a problem. They have called when they had a used piece of equipment I was looking for available, and provided rental units so I could try before you buy. They are in business cause you provide them with your business, and they want your business.

Thank you for the knowledgeable input.

Due to the higher cost of supplies and also the fact that I would have to fill the tank (it's empty) and pipe it into the shop, I have decided against the propane tank. I'd love to have it for a propane forge, and comparing costs with other empty tanks on craigs it is a good price, however, I simply don't have the money for that sort of purchase now.

Thank you again.

Some tanks are marked by companies that are no longer in business, Linde is one that is very common out here in CA and probably all over the country. The bottles that are marked by companies that are no longer in business are "Owner cylinders" meaning whoever has it in their possession owns it. I have also seen cylinders marked "US Air Force" that are mixed in with the owner bottles. The place where I shop has never asked me for any paper work, but they do charge an inspection fee for every tank you bring in, also we get charged "Hazardous material fee" for just about any thing they sell- gasses or other welding consumables.
That video does have some good info for starters but there are some more things that I look at when purchasing tanks-
Any damage to a tank that is visible will probably not pass inspection- dents, arc strikes, deformed cylinder.
I do not worry about the hydro test dates, but you can use them to get the guy to drop the price some if you tell him the tank is out of date and re-testing is going to cost you $30.00. Propane tanks have to be tested out here also, but sometimes the guy on the loading dock does not check so if you are lucky you can exchange an out of date tank for one that is current

Propane tanks are not controlled like welding tanks; but you *do* need to make sure it's within test date with some leeway. My local propane dealer inspected my fleamarket bought tank when it was next due.

Propane is great for forging, heating---rosebuds as it has much less rate of draw problems than Acetylene and gas forges as it's cheap and easy to get re-fills it also makes a superior cutting fuel according to my weldor friends and I notice that all the scrapyards seem to use it preferentially.

I would not lock yourself into the Harbour Freight stuff just because it was cheap *now* as it may end up costing far more over time.

I never know how much gas I will be using over a period of time so I always ask my supplier to give me a tank with at least 5 years on the certification. Since the tanks are customer owned, I would have to pay for recertification if I bring in a tank after the expiration.

I learned that lesson after buying a new O2 tank from the supplier a long time ago and not having it refilled for over 5 years. Then when I brought it in I was told ‘no can do’ out of certification. So if I don’t use up the gas I still exchange the tank before the expiration.

Yeah I wasn't planning on locking myself into the Harbor Freight stuff. I got a good deal on the set (about half the website price,) so it's just a get by. When I get tanks I would just assume get a harris or victor with it. Usually the tanks come with that anyway.

I've found an oxy acetylene set not too far away. (about two hours.) The owner has clear owndership paper for the tanks which are either the 80 CF or the 120 CF. (Lady selling it and she's not sure.) It comes with the cart, gauges, torches, hoses, and tool box. She want's $600 for it which seems steep, so I'm trying to get her below $500.
She's supposed to call me in the morning.