I Forge Iron

Mother Lode

Let us be thankful that some anvils are being saved, used or unused. In 1969, nothing much was going on the U.S. world of blacksmithery. Then Alex Bealer's book came out, and there began a resuscitation of the craft. Because of this renewed interest, because of blacksmithing organizations, and because of Postman's "Anvils in America," we are now aware of brand names, weight markings, countries of origin, and manufacturing dates/processes.

In my early days of learning the craft, I heard rumors of flat car loads of anvils heading for the scrap yards for the WW II "war effort." Was the flat car rumor true? Who knows?

In any event, I suspect that the rescue of anvils is currently outweighing the scrapping of anvils.

On second thought, maybe some of us get angry/frustrated because we feel that the guy who has the stash makes it harder for the rest of us to have one too. Having the wherewithall to hoard blacksmith stuff does act as a form of preservation. Like has been mentioned elsewhere here, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes . . . keep searching!

And you are who, the anvil police? I'm sure for the right price you can rescue them all.

And who are you to question my opinion? You don't like my opinion, tough xxxx bub.

If I had the money, and knew where they were I'd seriously consider buying all of them just so they'd not be kept in such a disgraceful fashion. My opinions, and if you don't like them SIR that's too xxxx bad. Those old anvils as well as other blacksmithing tools represent history. Jmho, but history isn't something to be treated with blatant disrespect.

Nor will I ever see it mistreated in such a fashion as those fine old pieces of history are being treated in those pictures without speaking my mind be it here, or elsewhere on, or offline.

Celt i would say you could reply
XXXXX "i am i am the anvil police"
nothing wrong with that

i know up my way if i had had the cash about 10 years ago i could have saved several anvils from the scrapyard had i been a bit more with it i still regret not asking for a lone

Folks get too wrought up about having a "real anvil" Use a 100+ pound chunk of forklift tine and *smile* when folks keep lamenting on the price and misuse of anvils today!

Back in the day folks were not so persnickety about their anvils as the chisel testing on their sides and feet can attest. Old ads touted reforging and refacing beat up anvils and didn't worry about their "history".

When I was young I used to get bent out of shape at anvils in gardens or piled up in a back yard or shed; but I have come to realize that for something as long lived as an anvil, a couple decade hiatus isn't more than a lost weekend for a smith...they will come back into play. Shoot even some anvils donated to small museums will hit the market again---I've bought smithing stuff when a museum sold it off as it changed it's focus!

BigRed1o1, you might see if "Anvil Police" could be your sobriquet, just as curmudgeon is mine.

nah thats ok i dont like giving out tickets anymore than i like like getting them
this was just more a if someone jumps on your opinion dont get bent out of shape over it "own it"
if i was to get a sobriquet i would be far happier to be known as the the Teflon PackRat :)
nothing is more of a treat to me than jumping into a scrap-pile and coming up with something i can use

I am sure there are several members that have benefited from your posts on this thread, as well as your posts on other threads. This has nothing to do with you, your posts, or your kindness by alerting others to what you have found in the way of blacksmithing tools.

The topic was locked so we could slow things down a bit. Some of the posts were reported to the moderators and administrators so they could be reviewed. It is IForgeIron policy to either lock a thread or take it off line while it is being reviewed. That is what happened in this case.

When any member of IForgeIron sees any post that is out of place or goes against the IForgeIron guidelines, we encourage you to click on the REPORT button at the bottom of each post, and alert the moderators and administrators so they can review that post. This way we can work together to keep IForgeIron a family forum as well as a wonderful blacksmithing and metalworking resource. Thank You for your assistance.