I Forge Iron

New Guy From Oregon

Hey everyone,

My name is Hunter, I'm from Oregon and I'm just getting into the art of bladesmithing.

I've been working with metal for about a year now. Little things like learning to weld and bend...etc.

Within the last few months I've turned to blacksmithing. I started out with a home built 50 gallon drum

& steel wheel firebox charcoal forge, and a cheap harbor freight 50lb anvil.

Since then I've upgraded to a single burner gas forge that I absolutely love, though I'm still stuck with

my old battered anvil. I started just hammering pieces of metal whatever it was. Over about the last

two months I've been working on various hammer strokes and skills I'm sure any blade smith ought to

know. Such as drawing out a billet, hot cutting billets, tapering, tip hammering (Though I'm still horrible at that)

and so on.

Anywho! I finally finished my first start-to-finish knife this evening! I've made a few other (things) but I never

finished a full knife. So here it is :D

Simple skinner forged from an old pair of channel locks. Normalized then quenched in vegetable oil, tempered in the oven

at 350* for 2 hours. Then sanded from 80-2500 grit sand-paper and steel wool.

6693637597_46db0475b4_b.jpg

6693637693_f7abd6643a_b.jpg

6693637853_ce46cb0389_b.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice. For your info. Channel lock brand pliers are made of 1080. It's a great steel to work with.

Peter Pruyn(Brothersville knives) Gene Martin and Mike Turner are all in your neck of the woods.
Don't miss the OKCA show in April in Eugene! 400 tables of knives!

Welcome to the addiction!

Nice. For your info. Channel lock brand pliers are made of 1080. It's a great steel to work with.

Peter Pruyn(Brothersville knives) Gene Martin and Mike Turner are all in your neck of the woods.
Don't miss the OKCA show in April in Eugene! 400 tables of knives!

Welcome to the addiction!