I Forge Iron

Hi from rural Manitoba

Jim Kehler

I've been lurking here for a while and thought If I start posting should probably let people know who I am.
I've been at this for thirty years now, ( I'm 49), first as a hobby then in a "historical village", ten years in a railroad blacksmith shop and self-employed since 1999.
Grant's passing really hit me,( I met him once in '90 and he helped me with my hammer back in the days of the "junkyard"), and I thought it will take a LOT of us to fill his shoes and I will try to do my part.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there Jim.

I'm located just East of Winnipeg. I thought I would just say hi. I'm just starting out so not ready to visit anyone. As much as I would love to. I'll be doing a course during the summer so hopefully I will be doing better next fall.

Its nice to know there are people close by with lots of experience.

I'm not sure of the dates but there is supposedly a Hudson Bay Co. Fort with blacksmith shop and at least one blacksmith that does demo's there. I missed it when taking a week long canoe trip with some friends that live in Winnipeg a year or so ago. Didn't find out about it till I got back ......... GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRR. I asked even.

We have 3 historical sites that have a blacksmith. Lower Fort Garry near Selkirk, the Mennonite Village in Steinbach, and the the Festival du Voyageur each February at Fort Gibraltor in Winnipeg. I don't know who is acting as blacksmith at each if those right now. There may be others I don't know of.

I know of 2 working smiths near me. One does classes each summer and teaches at a historical school in the USA periodically. I will be doing a couple days with him this coming summer and hopefully I can get to the Festival for a day. I know from experience that I can learn the basics on my own but there is no replacing a teacher for taking you to the next level.

i used to watch at smith at the Folk Festival each July. We have a 4 days music festival here each summer and there usually was one or more blacksmiths that would come to sell to the tourists. I spent time watching them work as a teenager. It's been a lot of years since I have done that though. 

• 1 year later...