I Forge Iron

Pine Pitch (sap) as Metal Finish

Fe-Wood

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to use Pine Pitch as a finish for metal. I was out collecting Pine Nuts the other day and realized I have a plentiful source for Pitch.

I'd be interested in formulas or ideas on how to make the pitch dry or harden so it isn't sticky to the touch.

Thats what I was thinking Macbruce.

Son of bluegrass, Please do look up your recipes. I'm looking for a way to harden the finish and a woodworking recipe might work or help in the learning process.

bentiron- that would be great! Looks like I can come up with plenty of pitch...

Hope to get more suggestions....

Thanks guys!

I might be wrong, but believe that in the Tom Brown survival books it is boiled up with ground charcoal to make glue for fastening stone arrowheads, but I can't remember his recipe for it. That and those books are someplace else right now.

My Traditional Bowyers Bible says to just boil it enough that when cooled it is firm but not brittle. Old hard rosin can be softened by melting and adding new rosin or beeswax. To increase strength up to 10% powdered charcoal can be added to melted rosin. Charcoal can be pressed into the surface to reduce stickiness. Plant fibres can be pressed in as well increasing strength and flexibility.

The strength scale puts
pitch 6lb
commercial casien 18lbs
5 min epoxy 28lb
yellow glue 38lb

for whatever it's worth...

What I have is largely from

http://www.kramers.org/finishes.htm

and

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17935

I haven't look through recently to pick out specific recipes.

Various resins are used in the recipes and some may apply to pine resin (pitch). It may need some processing first. Usually processing involves heating and there is the risk of fire.

ron

The formula was rather vague but here goes anyway:
Pitch(crude) 8 to 10 parts
resin(powdered) 1 part
Plaster of Paris, brick dust or whiting 7 parts
Tallow or bees wax 1 1/2 to 2 cakes
Plaster of Paris etc. hardens or tallow/bees wax soften
add more P of P or tallow depending on weather.
More P of P for summer and more tallow for winter.

Just what a cake of tallow or bees wax is, well your guess is a good as mine but I would add a small amount of bees wax at a time until I had it just soft enough to knead in my hand after a few minuets but not so soft that it would be that I didn't need to apply any heat to it to get my metal set in it or free from it. You don't want it so hard that it chips but gives under the tooling as you are working your design into the metal. When you buy pitch it usually comes in two basic hardness's, soft and hard. I like the soft.

Thanks Bentiron!
I have a hard pitch pot so I'll make a soft one... But first, I'm going to try the pitch as a finish.

PS, I think a cake of bees wax is about 3" round and about 1" thick. Like you used to get at the hardware store for lubing screws and such...

Stockholm tar is pine tar as is used as a finish for wooden boats. There are a number of recipes for different purposes, but I am not finding my bookmarks for some...maybe I am on the wrong computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_tar
has some information, but the article is thin. A mixture as described or pine tar, turpentine and boiled linseed oil was also used for coating the serving on iron rigging.

I think I need to reread "Rigger's apprentice" by Brian Toss
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Riggers-Apprentice-Techniques-Traditional/dp/0070648409

Phil

Just sitting here and without using search engines, pine pitch is the material that oozes from some pine trees, as FeWood pointed out. In New Mexico, it comes from our "piñon" trees, which do bear the edible pine nuts. My wife is Native American and she has used pitch as a glue, straight from the tree...no mixture.

On the other hand, pine tar is black, is a bit viscous, but is pourable. I formerly purchased it by the sealed tin can full, and I would use it with oakum as a hoof packing between a foot pad and the sole of the horse's foot.

Sorry I don't have any input about pitch as an iron finish.

• 9 months later...

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to use Pine Pitch as a finish for metal. I was out collecting Pine Nuts the other day and realized I have a plentiful source for Pitch.

I'd be interested in formulas or ideas on how to make the pitch dry or harden so it isn't sticky to the touch.

I know how to make hardened pine glue. It's best to just experiment with it, but melt some pine sap and mix in some softwood ashes. It may take a few try's to get it to the perfect mixture of not too hard and not too soft

• 1 month later...