I Forge Iron

VFD's

Check out wayne coe and his grinder/vfd. The vfd he uses are kbac and imho are the best. they are nema 4 enclosed...no h2o/dust. i just returned 2 teco speed controls to the westinghouse factory in tx for a full refund. one lasted 9 days and the other lasted 1 day. had a bit of a problem w/the seller. they are not nema 4 and cannot withstand the abuse/dirt/dust we give them. I have read that they were recommended in a previous post, but i suggest that you steer clear of them. spend the extra $ and buy a kbac, or another w/a nema 4 enclosure.

je

I have 2 teco's no enclosure and one other brand , I make my own enclosures, I have had them for three years and no problem, They are all in unheated structures. With all electronics you can get bad ones, and brands can start out good and then go down hill. I also like automation direct good service and people. they are happy to help you on the phone.

I cannot recommend Leeson VFDs either. I had one on a lathe that lasted a few years but then when it died after about 2 years, I bought a replacement and it blew up immediately. It took several months to get a replacement from the factory. It was not enclosed but I enclosed it in a large steel weatherproof electrical box. It cost me over $1000 because I needed one that would work with 575V which is the most common three phase here in Ontario. In hindsight it would been cheaper to pick up a used 220v three phase motor and one of the cheaper VFDs.

Please tell me about your VFD set up on your belt grinder.

1. Brand you have. Zest
2. Input voltage & phase. 220 V single PH
3. Output voltage and phase. 380 V 3 PH
4. HP of motor. 1.1 KW
5. Nema 4 or in another enclosure? Electrical Box
6. Best feature? Built in POT and price

Thanks,

Jamie Herring

Tim

I'm looking for a vairable speed motor or control for my belt sander, but I only have 1PH in my shop.
John, I looked at that KB website, and didn't see any 1PH stuff. (Never worked w any 3 PH stuff, so maybe I'm missing something)...
Looks like these things are designed to convert 1 PH input to 3 PH output.
All I need is variable speed control for a 1 PH motor.
Or should I be looking for a 3 PH motor teamed up with the KB control...?

chad

Chad, the VFD does convert single phase to 3 phase 230v. You will have to have a 3 phase motor. 4X)Be sure and get a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Coold) motor and the VFD should be dust proof. With the KBAC 27D and you have a 1.5 hp motor you can have 115V single phase in, 230V 3 phase out to the motor. With a 2 hp motor you must have 230V in.

Let me know if you have other questions or if I can help you.

All,

If I understand this correctly:

You can't vary the speed on a single phase motor.

You can use 115V single phase (in) on 3 phase motors up to 1.5 hp.

You need 230V (in) for 3 phase 2 hp motors and over.

Correct?
Nope! The frequency controls the RPM on any induction motor, number of phases has nothing to do with it.