I Forge Iron

So That's What That Smell Is

No, I'm not talking about XXXXX. Like most of us, I like to visit balcksmith's shops whenever I get a chance. In many of them, beneath the smell of coal smoke, I've smelled another, sweeter smoke. Today I just did a couple pigtail turners and finished them with beeswax. I guess it was beeswax smoke I've been smelling.

pigtail turners??? I have never had the inclination to turn a pigtail but in case I get the urge, perhaps you might post a picture so I could see what the appropriate tool looks like. :huh: As for the sweet smell in the shop, best you identify it for certain. Some really toxic things have a quite pleasant sweet smell.

Hey Woody. They're just the bbq steak flippers. I'll post a pic as soon as I take one. Just don't laugh, my work is pretty rough at this point. . Also, I know the smell is from the wax because I could smell it as I was putting it on. I have a question for you. Where do you get your coal from here in Rapid? I usually use propane but I thought I might give coal or coke a try.

Here's a pic. Even though they're rough, I'm pretty happy with them overall.

22475095.jpg

Nice job on the turners. You can get Blacksmith Coal in 40 lb bags from Eisenbraun Coal, they are on Anderson Lane of Hy 44 toward the Airport. I don't think they have much of the Blacksmith Coal left, last time I got some ( last summer) they only had a few bags left. Dakota Artist Blacksmith Association has coke for sale at $30 for 100 lbs you can get it from Fire Steel Forge in Piedmont. If you are in the Rapid City Area, I would like to invite you to attend DABA meetings and hammer-ins, they are the second Saturday of every month at Fire Steel Forge in Piedmont. The last price I paid for the blacksmith coal at Eisenbraun was $10 a bag. I like working with the coke although it takes a bit more air to keep it going.

Thanks. I've meant to come out but I always forget until it's too late. Do you guys meet in the winter? What time should I show up and what should I bring? I'm thinking I might have to stick with coke because I work out of my garage here in town which I know is questionable at best. Although I may pick up a bag of coal just to throw a piece or two in my gas forge once in awhile just for the smell.

Also, hopefully you guys won't think I'm a complete idiot. Everything I know either came from books or I taught myself so I'm probably doing it wrong. :unsure:

We meet every second Saturday of the month. Any time after 8 AM, I usually get there around 10 or so because I have another meeting that I must attend on the Second Saturday of the month. You can bring anything you want to work on. There are forges and anvils available but if you want to bring your own that's ok too. I won't be at the January meeting, I am having back surgery in Omaha the day before the meeting so I will be out of action for a bit. send me a message via this forum and I will give you my email address phone number etc and perhaps we can get together.

Kube,
you may want to consider olive on vegetable oil as a treat for the flippers, as they come in contact with food. besides, the wax will wear off pretty quick over the coals.

as for the smell, I call it aromatherapy for blacksmiths. when the metal is at just the right temp, it gives off the most delicious honey smell!

Thanks Woody. I appreciate the help. It looks like Eisenbraun might have gone out of business though. I tried calling and the number was disconnected so I drove out there and there was a guy there that said he thought they went under but to come back in the evening and ask him myself. No biggie, just sad to see a supplier go under.

Paul, is there a problem with using bees wax for cooking implements? I thought bees wax was edible.

Edible, maybe. But it doesn't last long. It needs to be applied on hot metal. not everybody has a store of beeswax handy for retreating. If they can't, they know you can, ad after every other 'cue they will ask you to.

Olive oil is easy to apply to warm metal (much like cast iron) and doesn't go rancid like some vege oils or animal fat. still gives a nice finish.

just a thought

. . .

Dakota Artist Blacksmith Association has coke for sale at $30 for 100 lbs you can get it from Fire Steel Forge in Piedmont. If you are in the Rapid City Area,

. . .

Woody,
Good luck on your back surgery. Been there, done that, got the shirt. Lee and I hope it goes well for you. Let us know.

How does the DABA coal compare to Eisenbraun's? I've burned 80 lbs or so of their coal and while it seems to make lots of heat, it has quite a bit of what I take to be sulphur in it. I have forty lbs left and will be needing some more soon.

Take care, hi to Jackie and Merry Christmas.

Bill

Bill, the coke burns great, it is hotter than coal. That blacksmith coal from Eisenbrauns did have some sulfur in it. I have seen pieces that looked yellow. The coke is quite clean but it still forms clinkers. I don't think I will mess with any more of that coal from Eisenbraun, I have been able to catch the lady there the last two times I went out there, but the phone has been disconnected for quite some time. Merry Christmas to you and Lee, stop and see us when you are in town

Woody

• 2 years later...

Kube,
you may want to consider olive on vegetable oil as a treat for the flippers, as they come in contact with food. besides, the wax will wear off pretty quick over the coals.

as for the smell, I call it aromatherapy for blacksmiths. when the metal is at just the right temp, it gives off the most delicious honey smell!

i thought it was more of an electric cherry smell. i could taste it as well slightly. like you said at the right heat and for me i noticed it more for certain steels and fresh steel. also when moving large volumes of material. i havent found any scientific reasoning for this yet in searching besides this forum.

There are many smells that emanate from the forge at times. Borax has a strong sharp sort of aroma, but I don't care for it much and one blacksmith told me it was not good for you.
One of the best smells from the forge is when you chuck your lunchtime apple core near the fire. The smell drifts all over the place and I had one little visitor who asked me where she could buy the apple pies.

When I was a Pup, there was still an active Blacksmith Shop, operating in York, PA.

He was a hard edged old "Dutchman", ... and you didn't want him to catch you tossing ANYTHING into His Forge. :unsure:

So, ... I didn't let Him catch Me.  :P

Recently figured out a kind of clothes dryer exhaust/leathery sort of smell in the smithy, after I've been working a while and the anvil's warm to the touch.  Turns out the live oak stump is toasting a little, from tongs and tools laid beside the anvil and just the accumulation of hot scale,

took a while to figure this one out, thought I was smoldering my apron for a while there.

Well really, now that I've identified it, it smells like burnt honey. It's really a pleasant smell.

I got my last batch beeswax with some honey on the bottom of the bucket.

Rubbed the most part of it off, but it will still smell a bit.