I Forge Iron

Hooking up Gasaver for torch

Morning all,
I just received an early xmas gift (so that I can finish the gifts I am making) of a Smith Gasaver to enable me to keep my torch on without stopping and starting after chasing and sinking sheet. I have read thoroughly the instructions and have looked at Smith's site and can not find an answer to this question: what hoses do I use to connect the regulators to the Gasaver?

"Gasaver Instruction and Parts" states under INSTALLATION in 2B: "Connect the fuel gas hose from the regulator (Grooved Nut) to the connection marked 'INLET-L.H.' and the oxegen hose from the regulator (Smooth Nut) to the connection marked 'INLET-R.H.' " (italics mine)

Later, of course, it says to attach the torch hoses to the respective Gasaver outlets on the other side.

It seems to me that I need to purchase a new short set of hoses with appropriate type hose connections. Is this right? What sort?

Thanks so much for any help.
Michal

You got it. You will need a set of short hoses from the saver to the torch. Some welding supply stores have bulk hose & can cut off what you need and install the fittings. Or check with your local welding guys for a piece of old hose from the regulator end & instal fittings on that.

My gas saver came with 4 hose barb type couplers, nuts and crimp type clamps so you could cut your existing hose and install these in the middle. Unfortunately they were for 1/4" hose and I am using 3/8". Temporarily I used my old 1/4" hose but I bought 2 new sets of custom length hoses. Don't go too short on the hoses from the tanks to the gas saver. You will probably want to make a stand for the gas saver so you need some length between.

I have a 2 wheel cart for my torch set and have my gas saver mounted so it goes with the cart and I can use it where ever I put the cart, wonderfull add on for a torch!!! - yes I had a couple smaller length hoses made to install the gas saver.

My tank cart has a short piece of 3/4" round bar welded to it, The gas saver is mounted on a piece of 3/4" pipe that slides onto the 3/4" bar so it can be used on the cart or I can use a separate stand which is just an old brake disc from my pickup with a 3/4" bar welded to one of the studs.

I have a Smith gas saver. I also have a very large set of oxy-actelene tanks which are hard to move. I built a treadle torch and run 25ft hoses from the blowpipe to the gas saver then 50ft back to the tanks. I can reach anywhere in the shop and outside just by moving the treadle torchset up. It weighs about 10 to 15 lbs.

I mounted mine to a piece of plate welded to the handle on the cart. I came off my regulators with Y connector shut of valves. One side of each valve goes to the gas saver with a short section of hose then from the gas saver to the torch that is set up for welding tips and rosebuds. The other side of the Y valves goes to a torch set up for cutting. The valves to the gas saver are painted red so I don't get confused about which torch I'm supplying gas to. The hoses from the gas saver to the heating torch are about 10 ft long because I use it mainly for bench work. The hoses to the cutting torch are 50 ft so I can reach out and cut something when I need to. Everything is mounted on a rolling cart made from an old hand truck.

Randy, I would love to post some photo's of my gas saver which is a little different than the sketch, That is it is basicly the same but I used different material. I did not like the conduit. I used square tubing instead.

I am having a problem with posting photos. It seems some of the settings have changed on this site. I use to be able to post with my camera set on the lowest setting for email but now the file is to large. I have tried to down size the file in photo shop with no luck. I have even been playing with photo bucket. I have had some luck there I just need to figure out how to link it.

As you probably have figured out, computors are not a very strong suite for me yet. I am not giving up thats one thing I don't do is quit. So check this tread over the next few days and I will get some photos posted.

Will see if the pics will make the trip. Shows the back of the welding table (behind the forge) and the front of the table. Accessible from either side as is the mig and die grinder. The pigtail on the torch is I guess 10 feet long. The supply from the bottles runs up under the stand. Just some brass fittings to help make the transition and keep the hoses neat and tucked away. the first pic (behind the forge ) is the primary welding station for me although the far side (front of the table is also used for fixture welding and whatever other building I may do). I may have a good slug of small parts to weld after forging and I can get a wooden stool in there to help my back. Process parts get moved from one pile to the other and or hung on racks or hangers on the ceiling joists. Yes the local farm store has bulk hose and crimp ends to build whatever hoses you may need including LP and air hose.

post-25-0-66272900-1324550349_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-59931700-1324550373_thumb.jpg

Randy, I would love to post some photo's of my gas saver which is a little different than the sketch, That is it is basicly the same but I used different material. I did not like the conduit. I used square tubing instead. I am having a problem with posting photos. It seems some of the settings have changed on this site. I use to be able to post with my camera set on the lowest setting for email but now the file is to large. I have tried to down size the file in photo shop with no luck. I have even been playing with photo bucket. I have had some luck there I just need to figure out how to link it. As you probably have figured out, computors are not a very strong suite for me yet. I am not giving up thats one thing I don't do is quit. So check this tread over the next few days and I will get some photos posted.

Here's a link to an online image optimizer: http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx. You just tell it which photo on your computer you want to reduce and it does it instantly and provides you a link to download the smaller file. It's really straightforward to use. Hope you find it helpful.

Here's a link to an online image optimizer: http://www.imageopti...Pages/Home.aspx. You just tell it which photo on your computer you want to reduce and it does it instantly and provides you a link to download the smaller file. It's really straightforward to use. Hope you find it helpful.

Thanks! I looked at it. Does look pretty simple. Next time I have something to post I will give it a try.