I Forge Iron

A question for this belt driven portable forge

Black Maple Forge

I just acquired a fairly new portable forge that is belt driven, but I can't seem to upload any pictures, sorry! Anyway, where is the best place to go to buy replacement belts, should that I need one? Does anyone know?

Also, my belt seems to have loosened some since I riveted it. Should I try to remove the rivets and re-rivet, or is there a way to shrink the leather some (I don't need much) without causing cracking?

Thanks!

Did you use a suitable leather? Some leathers stretch an amazing amount over time---I once bought a cheap belt that I had to re punch the holes in 4 separate times before it stopped stretching.

Most leather belts for forges I have seen are sewn rather than riveted. less of a problem cutting them loose and taking up slack and resewing.

Did you use a suitable leather? Some leathers stretch an amazing amount over time---I once bought a cheap belt that I had to re punch the holes in 4 separate times before it stopped stretching.

Most leather belts for forges I have seen are sewn rather than riveted. less of a problem cutting them loose and taking up slack and resewing.

Oh, did you remove your old rivets in order to put new ones in? I'm not sure the best way to do that. Also, where did you buy your belts from?

If you check out the web sites and forums that deal with older belt-driven lathes you will find individuals who will make custom belts for your forge. You might wish to consider a synthetic belt as that would have little if any stretch and would last a long time. Besides the folks that make belts for lathes, you might also ponder trying the flat belts for harvesting equipment that can be found at your local farm store or TSC online.

The harvester belting has a bunch of uses including; replacing flat belts on equipment, cushioning between a anvil and its stand, and even cut into strips for under the tacks on a leather bellows, and as hinges for the flaps inside of a leather bellows.

I use alum tanned leather for those drive belts also known as indian tan it is very flexible and has little stretch. When I make belts for things with no slack adjusters I pre-stretch the leather. I clamp 1 end of the strap to a floor joist in my basement leather shop then clamp a chunk of steel to the bottom end and let it hang a few days till it stops getting longer. saves a lot of troulbe later.

• 7 months later...

I also have an old belt driven forge and I used an automotive serpentine belt on the fly wheel. It is one inch wide and no stretch. You can also adjust the belt on the forge by dropping the bearings down that attach to the legs This will tighten the belt also. The belt will not work on the drive mechanism because it is too stiff. Found this out by experience.