Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'belt'.
Found 4 results
I'm putting together my first 2x72 belt grinder build. Using the simplistic stacked tubing design with vertical compression belt adjuster. I sourced a 1.75hp DC motor from a treadmill as drive power for the time being. Can't really afford an AC motor with VFD at this moment. The DC motor works fine and the MC35 speed controller also works great. My problem is that after taking the flywheel off and measuring the arbor I found it to be 17mm (.669") instead of the standard 5/8" arbor. My intension was to purchase a machined aluminum wheel package to complete my build. Unfortunately it seems that 90% of all the drive wheels available are for 5/8". The other 10% is 3/4" drive. My thought was that maybe I would luck out and find a supplier that makes 17mm drive wheels. Or else maybe find a sleeve/shim that would allow me to use a 3/4" drive wheel on the 17mm arbor. Any ideas? I do not have the machining equipment to take off the required 44 thousandths to get the arbor down to 5/8". Guess I could go the risky route and use a file to decrease the arbor down during operation. But that's a stretch. Any ideas? Thanks.
I've been working on my own grinder for a week or so now, following Dan Comeau's BG272 plans. If I would of had more time with a CNC mill I would of built a KMG clone, but ohh well. I have one question. Due to my budget, I had to get the only used motor I could find locally. A 3HP US Motors. The only downside is that the shaft is 1-1/8" and no one sells a drive wheel with that bore. Unfortunately I do not have the stock to turn a wheel this size on the lathe. Any recommendations on how to get a drive wheel fitted on the 1-1/8" shaft? Thank you. Here's some progress.
Belt Grinder Info Rabbit Holes I have been spending a lot of time looking into what it would take to have a good 2 x 72 (inch) belt grinder (e.g. KMG). I am in Eagle River (AK). Just Buy One! Maybe Not... I found that companies do not ship here, or the cost is (not surprisingly) quite high. Before doing anything particularly foolish I am looking to you all for suggestions. Make or Buy? Is there a good option... I have not found sufficient info to be comfortable making a grinder, and in my ignorance I would likely get started and end up spending "a lot of money" and be the owner of a pile of parts -- particularly since I do not have access to a machine shop or the knowledge of where to get what and how to avoid issues that an experienced person could address easily. Avoiding Mistakes By Asking For Help I have looked at a lot of information on this topic, and what I am looking for now is regionally specific guidance. I Think I Missed A Sign On The Way In Please point me to a post that us noobs often need to be directed to since I doubt i am not asking something new. If you have a belt grinder that you like are you are relatively close-by, I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you and learn a bit about what you make/repair/etc. and what resources (vendors of parts, materials, services) you find helpful. Best Wishes
I just acquired a fairly new portable forge that is belt driven, but I can't seem to upload any pictures, sorry! Anyway, where is the best place to go to buy replacement belts, should that I need one? Does anyone know? Also, my belt seems to have loosened some since I riveted it. Should I try to remove the rivets and re-rivet, or is there a way to shrink the leather some (I don't need much) without causing cracking? Thanks!