I Forge Iron

Swollen eyelids

Today I decided to try to make my own charcoal, there was a lot of smoke in the process, and after about 2 hours my lower eyelids were really swollen, so i put a cold towel on my face for a few minutes, and they got a bit better. It got a bit annoying working with only half sight so I don't want this happening again. Have any of you guys had this problem?

No my eyes water a lot if exposed to smoke but I have not have problems with them swelling.

When I use charcoal I tend to make it in a raised firepit downwind of the forge so I don't have to be around the smoke except for when I move a shovelful of hot coals from the firepit to the forge.

Got any known allergies? Were any of the wood you were using on that list? If it was raw wood (as opposed to lumber) were there trash materials like poison ivy in there?

Best practice is to put poison ivy trash in a mold pile or a hot compost pile until it is unidentifiable dirt. Yes, I have a compost bin full of poison ivy... I expect it to be dirt by spring.

Phil

My daughter got fogged by some poison ivy smoke a couple years ago. Though normally beautiful, she was quite hideous looking for a day or two. Had to take steroids to combat the swelling.

Be careful and stay upwind!

Stebblingur, here are two things may help you avoid smoke: 1. Install a properly functioning chimney. If your forge is outdoors put up a moveable wind brake also. 2. Master fire control technique. Be sure that the charcoal has no uncharred wood.