I Forge Iron

acetylene leak w/pictures

Bob S

Vary lucky guy to have lived. But what was he thinking, a gas bottle inside a closed up car, that is just crazy. I never let any type of pressure or flammable tank inside a closed car. I have a truck for a reason, so the dangerous junk can ride in the back a little farther away from me.

How do you spell- stoopid?
I had a friend back in the school days that would fill up balloons with oxy- acetylene and the drive with them in the car down to the river and shoot at them to see the balloons go boom!
I never rode in the car with him for obvious reasons

(1) It was dumb to leave a pressure vessel in the vehicle.
(2) It was really stupid to leave the valve open, however slightly. That's the kind of thing you have to triple-check.
(3) It was incredibly stupid to start the car while it was full of acetylene.
(4) @clinton: The older of a high school friend of mine used to do the same thing, except they used pieces of toilet paper as fuzes. Eventually one of the ballons went off in the truck, which set off all the others. The damage was impressive, although nowhere near as impressive as the pics at the link above.

Makes you think of Where & How you store you're full AC tanks in the shop ? Hmm and How often you soap test the valve on the newly filled tank you just got from supplier to make sure theirs no leaks ???? HMM how OFTEN again -- mine are in the bathroom next to the air compressor in next sealed room an over night leak would not be good thing the compressor is the first thing to get turn on in the morning I think AC tanks are on there way outside for storage now ! its not as convenient they will have to be in the way back area so no one can steal or mess with them

PS--yes I do soap test my tanks - valves - hoses often & have found leaky AC valves before -- T handle valves are the worst for that it seams

Consider your own shop and your own needs. Pressure vessels. Compressors, Fuel bottles, NOS bottles. Solid fuel sources. Hazmat issues.

I have simple procedures for my own shop. Starting from the back, I shut down bottles (MIG, aceteline/02), small heat bottle in winter, 100 lb bottle for forge, compressor. This happens before I leave the shop, period. I tell myself you either have procedures or you don't.

i have witnessed catastrophic failure issues in others shops and/or places of work. Fires. Explosions. I have taped off ambulances for response to these issues. Watching people die is not a pleasant thing. Please be careful. The local EMS folks do not need more skill building time.

As a post script, please do what Ironwolf said and get some leak check from your local gas supplier. Ours comes either in a bottle with a dauber or in a spray bottle. It doesn't freeze or take up much space. Keep one or more bottles of it close to your fuel bottles. Helpful hints from Heloise may say just keep soapy water. This is fine as long as the bottle is labeled and KNOWN to be used for one thing. YOUR safety. Never mind the money you save on NOS gas.