I Forge Iron

What's better Hay Budden or Peter Wright?

I have a 130 pound Peter Wright and I have 148 pound Hay Budden anvil here is my problem. I like the Hay Budden anvil alot but the horn is a little short for me and the point doesnt come out to a point as much as I wished it would for when I am making small stuff like S hooks. The Hay Budden has a great bounce better than the Peter Wright I have in my opinion and its in great shape I just don't like the horn at all it's a stubby. The Peter Wright is perfect as far as the condion and the shape of the horn but the bounce just isn't there like the Hay Budden. I normally make stuff like for mountain men, Fire Sets, Tripods, Grills, Fire Pokers, S Hooks, Forks, Spoons, etc... So I was wandering what some of you guys had for an opinion about this. To me the Hay Budden is more of a Farrier/ Horseshoe anvil. I was taught to blacksmith on a 270-280 pound Trenton anvil and that anvil is awesome but my teacher won't sell it to me. So I thought about selling both my anvils and maybe buying a Trenton.

Thanks for your time.

Dustin Baker
Ohio

Locate and purchase the Trenton before parting with either anvil you have. This way you make sure you are in fact "upgrading" and not just getting another anvil you will be dissatisfied with. In the meantime do as Southshoresmith suggests and make or buy a bick for the hardy.

Phil

HB made a farriers pattern anvil with an extremely narrow face and a massive long horn on it "Swell Horn Farrier's Pattern" I owned one once, (198#) and let it get away trading it for a more medieval anvil for my historical re-enactment.

My current HB seems a bit more bouncy than my PW's too and I often use it for teaching as students usually can't dent it!

If you are attending Mountain Man events you may want to look into getting an earlier pattern anvil than the elongated horn and heel ones seen in American anvils in the late 19th century. A Mousehole or early William Foster would be pretty much spot on for that time/place---but probably much larger than would be totally accurate. (I have a WF dated 1828 that would be great for that period---iff it was in better shape, not for sale though.)

What's better, a Ford or a Chevy? What do you like? What's important to you?

I have two Hay Buddens (112# & 163#) because that's what I could find when I was shopping. I might have bought something else if I had found one. I use what I have, not perfect, but works for me.

I agree with all the answers but relate with Drewed the best. If you have two anvils and between the two they provide what you need then you are blessed. Most hobby blacksmiths either have only one anvil or even no actual anvil.
Count your blessings. In this case it's, two.
If you can afford a new anvil then great! Sell the other ones to a newbie who would be glad to upgrade from a rock at a good fair price. Fair to him.

I'm not familiar w/where Tipp City is located. If you can plan a trip over my direction and visit Mt Eaton on US Rt 250, the Yoders Blacksmith Supply has more anvils than you'd care to look at. Your eyes will go cross if you'd try to look them all over. He will buy sell trade w/you.

Your anvils are worth 2$/pound and his are 4$/pound, but hey. He has them and he does own a full time business as opposed to a hobbie. He also has tons of new ones for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$