I Forge Iron

How on earth was this done to a PENNY

Beejay Evon

the penny is 1972, I couldnt load the head side of it for some reason. I am really worried and mad cuz i put in on ebay and it has only 2 days left and I think it is a bit more special then i had assumed. I was kicked off a coin forum this morning cuz i said it was on ebay (i guess) the ebay listing is:

Penny Mint Error Mistake ANOMALY, Puzzle, BIZARRE Area 51 ALIEN ARTIFACT ??? and the pictures are better on this listing. the guys in the coin forum said its post mint, which means they assume I counterfeited a mint mistake and this incurred there wrath.

but anyway, you are saying it was shot into a wall at 350 feet per second - any other ideas?? yes it weights the same as a penny, and yes its thicker at the smashed end, and stands up perfectly on a table.

(I found it with a metal detector in Bellmont Shores)

it really xxxxx cuz on ebay, those people lacking experience to discern a genuine oddity, they will just think "oh, melted and smashed on one end to counterfeit a mint mistake,....BIG DEAL" nooooo not that simple

no i'm not a smith at all but i did work as a machinist in aerospace and fabricated stuff in the garage so yes i instantly was puzzled by it. oddly enough since i did mention area 51 on the forum, my phone has been tapped and tampered with since I was also "extracted" (?) from the forum. (in only 3 hours)

If it's a 1972 penny it's almost pure copper, so a hotplate wouldn't do it. The melting point is near 2000 degrees F. I think that'd be tricky to do with heat to pure copper without melting it. The design is still intact. With intense heat I'd expect some of the fine details to start melting. Might be possible if you were extremely careful, but I'm still leaning toward some kind of impact. (But if it was an impact, why isn't the edge damaged?) Interesting puzzle.

no this cant be a "mint error" cuz I googled thousands of those. not one of them indicates any melting action whatsoever and one reason could be cuz in the mint they apparently only just smash cold metal blanks with a press and so it duzn heat it enough that this could then occur and, since if the penny were only pressed, how could it flatten only on one side - penny would be molested on the opposite end. a blow torch flame would melt the delicate lettering rather quickly before that sudden instant in time wherein the penny becomes a blob of worthless copper not to mention the discoloration long before that happens. experienced coin people are saying it is indeed special. (I tried hitting a penny with a hammer, to hit it hard enough to even dent the penny this much requires enough force to plant a large nail in one blow plus the penny begins to always bend this way or that long before the required force can be inflicted and by that time hammer control? nada. guess all it takes is the appropriate gun then. any guess on the FPS? The End.

(I tried hitting a penny with a hammer, to hit it hard enough to even dent the penny this much requires enough force to plant a large nail in one blow plus the penny begins to always bend this way or that

That's why jkmas suggested stacking a bunch of them together and clamping them. No bending that way.

good one jkmas u could be right. you might not really even need a swage of matching circumference if you just placed a slab of wood or hard rubber under a quarter inch slab of iron for the surface that you would then rest the coin roll on. reason i say is cuz obviously it is the (faster) moving hammer would always dent the penny significantly more then would the (stationary) base, however adding only a small amount of give to the stAtionary surface would enhance this "phenomena" and lessen the dent on the opposite side the hammer - but I think it was only the thin rectangular barrel of the air gun caused that one penny to remain held appropriately at attention while it then hit the wall in perfect alignment. its cuz the penny is no longer round but is instead as perfectly out of round as a piece of clay would then be if it had been dropped onto a table top on end

My father is a well know coin dealer with over 40 years in the business and a publishes author on the subject. I have handled many mint errors personally. I worked in his shop as a kid and young adult. Normal mint errors are double struck or struck off center. Also there can be defects in the blank or planchet where it is cracked or part of it is cut away by the punch that makes the blank making a second cut off center. My semi-professional opinion is that it was damaged after it left the mint. My father and I played around with my press in the shop to see if we could duplicate some of the effects strictly for research purposes. We came up with some interesting things but nothing like a real mint error. The coins were later destroyed as this is would be considered highly unethical in numismatic circles.

I'm not admitting to anything here, but on some large staple guns you can shoot pennys, punch blanks, all kinds of stuff. This is what that reminds me of, really, really high speed impact into a hard surface (Like a steel plate) can have that effect. But it is very hard to do, as well as dangerous. They did it on Mythbusters tha way

it's in the details. u nailed the question and i never thought anyone would ask it. to me the edge only adds to the mystery southshore because i'd noticed on my edge, on the penny i (just now) smashed with a hammer it's relatively dull just as i knew it would be versus its natural and semi gloss ORIGINAL penny edge - i.e. dull where the hammer hit ....but on this wierdo penny the flat edge is a gloss. (not like glass mind u but too shiny to be a natural penny edge) why? and in turn the natural penny edge is like a flat paint. i DID used a hammer with a smooth surface. i operated a metal detector and was accustomed to inspecting my finds closely so the edge has always puzzled me but there is one other thing being the edge is mildly faceted with slight but abrupt "inverted and into the coin" angles 3 of them - and if that were not enough the center angle (2 on each end, one in the middle, each say 4 mm long,).....the center "facet" is arched, gently arched upward. well like i say there is some "oddly" advanced technology out there and to be honest at no time will (EYE) ever assume this case was closed with an airgun or hammer since you didn ask = (2 lines angled into the penny on either end and one line arched gently upwards in the center) the reason hammer ideas don't sit well with me. its because of the wierdo edge but then even if it were shot from a gun what kind of a surface must the penny impact in order to produce a shine? OK so my hammer is not a perfect polish but i always naturally assumed the rule was, hammer? = dull edge (in this particular case) so the next step is maybe someone out there can hit a pennies end and see if they can produce a (shinier) surface with THEIR perfect and polished hammer. well i'll tell you one thing there isn't even a shred of evidence to be found on the opposite edge. I would upload a photo but I think that can only be done on the original post. Note: the 3 lines of the facet are not abrupt and also each is vaguely unique. sure this penny can be duplicated untill you consider the details but i dunno then it seems to me you'll likely have to cheat in order to duplicate it. my email southerncalifornian@verizon.net and i will send photos of the edge. yeah no this penny also stands up on a granite countertop like a grey alien manufactured it so if anyone wants to show off and duplicate it be sure and keep that one in mind too

I'd have to have it to duplicate it exactly... but I am supremely confident that I could do it if it were worth my effort. Lots of interesting things can be done with a bit of ingenuity and patience. Take a look at some examples of coin rings for example, many done with the simplest of tools too (a teaspoon). Glossy surface is EASY to accomplish! Yes, a polished hammer will produce polished surfaces where it impacts malleable metal. Shiny spoon... same story.