I Forge Iron

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, I have PMed you with more details, but for now I will say that the standard price (i.e. to those who were not involved from the start) including vat & delivery will be something around £300. How much over / under will depend on the block’s precise volume / mass and the best on-going deal I can get with a courier.

I hope that will be acceptable to most people; it certainly is very competitive when compared to those (standard blocks) on offer at well-known blacksmithing suppliers.

I have some other ideas for future tool production, cone mandrels etc. and, if the block pays for itself, these will be next in line.

I think that there has been a near-monopoly on new blacksmithing tools in this country for some time and I am minded to produce good tools at fair prices to the benefit of the craft.

G.

Back from the pattern-maker, no problem in making the two, small alterations I wanted, the plans are now complete.

But, a possible delay in cutting the pattern… a ‘rush’ job has come in. They will still try to finish it this week, but no promises… rather annoying, but – to be fair – I am getting the pattern made at a pretty good rate and they did warn of the chance of this.

I shall post further news as and when it comes.

(You may be interested to know that we also discussed possible future patterns – for floor mandrels, spring swages, various hardy tools etc. – and that they all look like realistic and economic ideas, I just need to do a bit research on the correct metal for each tool first.)

G.

Hello,

At their request, I visited the pattern-makers this morning to watch the last part of the pattern’s cutting and to approve the final effort. At first I was surprised.

It was strange to see the pattern as 1) a physical 3D object, and 2) in two parts, rather than as a single block (the resin is cut to allow top & bottom sand mouldings which are then placed over one another before casting).

Also, the minor features seemed much smaller than they’ve been in my mind’s eye. But, after reassuring myself with a Vernier caliper, I can write that all is well. The pattern-makers didn’t mind this because, they said, they were used to seeing people - unfamiliar with modern patterns - finding a pattern somewhat strange. Nonetheless, it has now been cut.

It does still need to be ’finished’ and boxed; ‘finishing’ involves some further smoothing and treating of the outer surfaces, boxing means fitting a wooden frame box around the pattern to allow for the packing and containment of sand to form casting moulds. This will take a couple of days.

Real-world commitments mean I am unavailable to collect it until, probably, next Wednesday. I intend to take it straight to the foundry and casting will begin as soon as possible after that.

G.

I collected the pattern today and took it to the foundry, all is well and good.

But - and this seems to happen a lot - the foundry have just been given a big job to do... so the first 'test-casting' will take place next week.

post-280-0-04173500-1328123552_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-98332800-1328123559_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-06888700-1328123569_thumb.jpg

Update…

Beth may be right…! The foundry has informed me that a proving sample is more likely to be cast early next week, not this week… irritating, but such is life.

On a related matter, I have been told of - and am now hunting - what I hope is a cone mandrel pattern… but may be a solid bollard. It is said to be ‘a few feet long’ and over a foot wide at the base. However, the chap who had it died a few years ago and nobody seems to know where it, and some other patterns, are now. Assuming these patterns have not been destroyed or acquired by a third party, I shall have a good go at finding them and, if still of use and usable, casting from them.

G.

well giles you know i have that cone mandrell if you can use it to take cast off..... yeah foundry next week next week thing is annoying, but as long as we get what we want in the end (this year) im still happy as can be:) !

Hello all,

I've just returned from the foundry; I visited to prove that I still exist & as a subtle hint that casting some blocks pretty soon would be a good thing in my books.

Sand-moulds have now been made from the pattern for sample castings. Samples are necessary to find the best place for the ‘risers’ during casting. The risers are where excess molten metal goes during pouring then, as the metal cools and contracts, the extra stuff in the risers is drawn down to ensure that the mould remains full and that a good casting is made.

Casting will be on Monday – so they said…! Hopefully this means that at least one block will be ready for Tuesday (JF!) & that a full run will be soon after.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel’s length has yet to be established… :rolleyes:

G.

p.s. Thanks Owen.

Right…

I spent an hour or so at the foundry this afternoon and have mixed news; though, overall, it is good.

Despite attempting castings using SG Iron over the last few days, with variously sized & placed risers (some VERY large) my design will not cast well in SG Iron. Apparently SG is not as fluid as regular cast iron and ‘draws’ more. I was warned this might be the case and it is; again and again the upper surface was ‘dished’.

The problem could probably be overcome by using even bigger risers or by the existence of some through-holes in the block – allowing more feed-in of metal. Both options would seriously affect my design and the features I have included, this is something I do not want.

The boss at the foundry also cast a block using a regular, modern (i.e. low phosphorus) cast iron; a mix that he thought could be relied upon to do what is necessary. This block cast very well – but an idiot with a grinder damaged it when taking the extraneous riser metal off. All features are spot on.

When I was told of this block, I was wary, believing ‘normal’ cast iron to be unsuitable. But, the foundryman passed me a 7lb hammer and said ’try and break it’. I did try, and, other than a lot of small dents there is no damage. I am, therefore, satisfied that the iron used is definitely strong enough for the job. If I had known how resilient a solid block of modern cast iron can be, it would have been my material of choice from the start. (I also gave the failed SG block a good few whacks and the effect was slightly more evident on it, SG being a bit softer.)

That all being said / written, if anyone involved is unhappy with the idea of the blocks not being in SG Iron, please let me know. But I must tell you that, having brought the damaged block home ‘to play with’, and having given it some more serious abuse, I am perfectly happy to have my name on the regular cast iron blocks – as it will be!

By the way, the block weight is 79lbs / 36kg; there is also the advantage that the price will go down a bit.

I’ve asked them to hold off casting until next week, once I know how many are still happy we’ll proceed then.

Pic's of the 'damaged' block I have are below.
post-3973-0-03954400-1329849191_thumb.jppost-3973-0-83383800-1329849204_thumb.jppost-3973-0-42068300-1329849225_thumb.jppost-3973-0-35326200-1329849239_thumb.jp

G.

Hmm…

Colleen, Sections 13 & 14 Supply of Goods and Services Act and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer Reg's (2002) give you full protection… I am / was a lawyer! (Guy, this covers all goods sold in & from the UK, so you’ll be covered by it too.)

Joking apart, yes, of course; any block that fails under fair use or because of poor manufacture will be replaced. I can’t say that no block will ever break, but I will say that a block that has no casting flaws will easily stand up to the intended job. I won’t go to the expense of having blocks x-rayed or ultrasound tested, so there will always be the chance of internal flaws; but I think that is a very low risk.

I think that most of us (including me until yesterday) have it in our heads that cast iron = brittle / weak. But my heavy hammering has proven to my satisfaction that this is not the case, still less so when it is a big solid lump like my blocks. Also, I designed them very carefully, taking into account direction of hammer blows relative to each feature – I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned that before.

What is reasonable use? Common sense really, but from a purely legal perspective, ‘reasonable use’ is an objective test not a subjective one; so, basically, if a given use would be considered ‘reasonable’ by most smiths it would be so. If most considered it daft, it wouldn’t. So, don’t try and dish cold ½” plate using a 14lb hammer!

Mick, Beth, Dave and everyone else, the above will obviously apply to all blocks.

Woodsmith10, thanks; always interested in meeting other smiths around here for advice & kit ideas, I’m a few miles East of Chesham, whereabouts are you? (PM?)

G.

That looks great . I would be carefull regarding the use of cast iron. I have broken up a lot of it (on purpose and by accident) and good solid cast iron (old and new) will easily break under tension. for example if you support it at the sides and belt the middle hard .
That said I think that the block looks great and I have enjoyed watching the whole process unfold , you should get a lifetimes use out of it if you do not abuse it!

No worries, Giles, I just had to say it!! It is just that whole cast iron thingy...!! I once saw a table of a pillar drill drop, (there was no stop and it was not tightened properly) it was cast iron, and it broke into 3 pieces when it hit the floor and was quite frightening. Luckily the operator was not hurt too badly, just bruised his shin as it glanced him as he jumped out of the way, but it could have been much worse. It does just worry slightly. Having said that though, and what Owen has just said I think this block will be better used on the floor, without a stand?? Comments anyone?

If you are near Chesham, then perhaps when the blocks are ready can I have a friend collect mine? He lives near Tring and we see him often.