I Forge Iron

Update…

First – this may be of use to others planning something similar – I’ve been reliably informed by a friend & former colleague who practises in Intellectual Property law that what I’m creating should be termed a ‘Sculpted Iron Block’. So be it.

I’ve agreed today that I’ll be going to the pattern-maker with what I hope are my final plans on Thursday 15th, subject to his advice the main features I’ve settled on for the 10”x10”x4” block are as follows:

Spoon recesses: 4 ½” x 3”; 3” x 2”; 2 ¼” x 1 ½”; 2” x 1 ¼”; depths from 1” down to ¼”.

Circular recesses: 5”, 4”, 2”, 1”, 3/4” & ½” in diameter; the first three will be 1¼”, 1¾” & 7/8” in depth, the others half their diameter in depth.

Half-cone recesses (on sides): 2” x 1.5” (rounded end); 3” x 1.25” (rounded end); 11” x 2” (in three lengths of 4”, 4” & 3” to allow fitting on the block’s side).

A 6½” long curved recess with increasing radius along its length (think running shoe swoosh), about 1½” deep.

Box-corner recess: 2” edge length (picture a corner cut from a cube, a three sided pyramid).

Inclined planes on sides: 60o & 45o for use in forming pan / pot rims etc.

Heart shaped recess 1½” x 1½”.

Radiused corners of diameters: 1¼ ”, 1”, ¾” & ½”.

Stepped corner: 1” by ¾”.

As for my texturing ideas; the views of pattern-maker & foundryman are that there’s no point in any feature / line with a radius of < 1/32”; small sizes don’t define well & leave features vulnerable, they advise more than double that. I’ve experimented with line widths & depths and conclude that a metric width / depth of 3mm (just under 1/8”) gives a good visible feature on worked metal & doesn’t leave the design on the block vulnerable.

So, pending a possible trial of textures by casting a small sample, I’ve included a set of parallel lines / grooves to be used for putting a grip on implements either in the simple form or, depending upon angle, as crosshatching.

For leaf-vein patterns there will be one pattern that has pairs of side-veins coming off a central vein (like oak) &, on a side face, there will be a single line that allows maple / vine leaves to be veined.

My special interest is historical cooking so other spaces on a main face will have shallow recesses to allow the making of features / patterns found on old implements (17th, 18th & early 19th centuries). These will be: a stylised shell (like a cockle); a stylised skull (memento mori); a simple flower, similar to a Tudor rose. These will be shallow, around 1/8“ in depth, & are intended for use on ends of round /square section bar (usually well upset on items I’ve seen) or flat areas elsewhere. Size depends upon pattern-maker’s opinion, but < 1” in largest dimension. Depending on advice given, these may also require a trial.

If one or more of the textures is not viable I shall use the space for another recess, probably a spoon. I have deliberately left several areas on the sides blank; the largest is 3” x 2”, others are a little smaller. These are for future custom features, assuming access to appropriate tools. Note: there will be no through-holes.

Two final points: Firstly, the casting process requires that the sides are slightly angled outwards from base to top (the ‘draw’ angle); in this case the angle will be a fraction over 2o (which will mean an overhang of 1/8” from base to top over the 4” height of the block). The block is designed so that, should a user wish to, the angled faces can be machined back to make the sides perpendicular to the main flat faces without adversely affecting use of the features. However, I think it unlikely that this will prove necessary for most and it will keep costs down to leave the blocks as they come out of the moulds.

Secondly, once I see the design in 3D on the CAD program, I may change a feature(s) if I think it necessary.

Well, that’s the lot. I believe the combination of spoon, circular, half-cone recesses & other shapes, inclined planes & radiused corners allow for a wide range of shapes & forms to be made (including shovels).

G.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like this block will be very usefull, I hope the meeting goes well with the pattern maker. The small blocks I have all have the tappered sides due to the draft needed, not much of an issue. The only time it has been, is when for a quick job I set them on my anvil and use the edges of the swage block, it has a tendency to creep off the anvil during use. This only a slight issue and can be remedied by re-positioning as your working - just have to keep an eye on it as your working.

I took my ‘final’ plans to the pattern-makers today and we discussed them for an hour or so; overall, no problems and the block should come out well. Deposit left, fingers crossed.

However, my ideas regarding texturing features only look to be a part-success. Both flower & shell should be alright. But the parallel lines / grooves I’d intended for making a grip pattern (chequering) aren’t practicable for the casting process. They can be machined onto the pattern fairly well, but the consensus was that a subsequent sand moulding and, finally, a casting would lose definition. I have seen some examples of failed ideas of a comparative size and there really can’t be any argument; so no lines. They can – and in my case will – be machined on later if wanted.

The memento-mori (skull) feature is something which they could not be sure about so, once the 3D CAD work is over, a trial will be carried out.

Having extra room on a main face I have added two upsetting recesses. These are basically truncated cones with flat bottoms, one starts at 0.5” and goes up to 0.75” and the other starts at 0.75” and goes up to 1”. I’ve seen these on a couple of North American blocks and, as single use tools, over here too; I think they are quite helpful when upsetting smaller diameter bars; both are round.

There is room on a main face for another feature; I shall think hard about this, if no inspiration (or good suggestions) comes I shall just use it to spread the current features slightly further apart.

As before, while it is still a computer model and until the pattern has been cut, I may alter/ add / subtract a feature if it seems necessary.

The pattern-makers will be closed for the whole of the festive season so, other than any bright ideas I have for features to fill up the space on the main face, I won’t have anything to add to this thread regarding design & production of the block until the New Year. But if anyone wants questions answered I’ll be happy to respond.

Inspiration - seasonal, or otherwise - has come for the remaining space on the block. It was staring me in the face for a long time, both on antique iron items & many brass ones too, especially horse brasses and handles / knobs.

I have decided that a shallow recess in the shape of a five pointed star shall fill the gap; designed so that the deepest part in the centre will be a point & that a ridge will run down to the centre from each point. Simple, easy to machine & capable of leaving a good impression on metal forced onto it.

I am yet to decide on final size, but around an inch across the widest part and a quarter inch in depth.

Hello Phil, no, I have not been back to the pattern-maker yet; as I wrote earlier they shut up shop until the festivities are over, so nothing more until the New Year. Once I have something I'll post it - assuming I can master the IFI picture-posting sysytem, which seems to have changed since I last sucessfully got it to work. If not, and you are keen to see it, I could email it to you. G.

giles - the way it works for me is resize the photo to something like 40 pixels wide ( my son showed me and my knowledge limited but that exact way is working for me to upload!) and that should work. happy christmas to you and yours!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, just a short update.

Things are moving along at the pattern-makers, I had planned to visit this week but real-life work (the bad stuff) has intruded upon my time, a lot.

However, I should be seeing them next week and shall (following Beth's instructions) try to post images of the 3D design - if I am unable to do so PM an email address and I'll send them straight to you.

G.

Hello all,

I visited the pattern-maker yesterday and have some good images to upload, but... I can't do it! I have no idea why not because on some other fora that I use it is not a problem.

Also, today the pattern-maker has sent me a PDF which is really good because one can view the block in 3D, turning it any way. I am happy to send this to you if you ask. Can it be uploaded?

Please, someone - Anyone! - who is more able than me with computers, PM me your email and I will send the images to you for uploading on this thread.

I'm going to spend this week considering the final result and, either as it is or with possible small changes, have the pattern cut next week. Casting of the first blocks will follow soon after that.

So, all who are interested in having one, please PM me once more and I'll send you the PDF so that you can be sure it is what you want.

Regards,

G.

Right,

Having spent the last few days carefully reviewing the block in 3D there are a couple of things that need adding / changing. None will have any effect upon the block in terms of utility.

Firstly, the internal ridge in the heart shape is too high and sharp. It will be pushed back.

Secondly, near one edge of the main face with the ‘pyramidal’ shape there are a small circle and a rectangle; there should also be a second, shorter rectangle on the opposite side to the circle. These three small depressions will contain the ‘C’ copyright symbol, my sponsor’s mark / touchmark of ‘GNJC’ and the letters ‘UK’, the country of origin. The three of these will be moved marginally toward the edge with the inclined planes, allowing a larger distance from the small hemispherical feature.

So that’s it, finished.

I’m sure others will find lots of uses for the general features that I haven’t yet thought of. Therefore I intend to send out a couple of reference sheets with each block, one giving illustrated dimensions of everything on it, the other giving the uses I intended for each feature when I designed it. I’ll ask everyone who has a block to let me know of any unusual ways they have of using it and to let me know about any extra features they put into the blank areas I have left, so that the knowledge can then be shared.

Hopefully, pattern cutting in the first half of this week, casting in the second half.

G.