I Forge Iron

So if anyone saw my powerhammer post ya know its anvil is lacking... But I did find this poor thing in a junkyard and was wondering if anyone could ID what she used to be!

The base that you cant see is about 3' or more in diameter so Im betting its VERY heavy and that block looks in great shape to me, thoughts?
post-7113-0-42120400-1319126113_thumb.jp
With my hammer being post mounted I could put anything under it for an anvil I think this would be a great option and its already setup for new tooling

Anchor, ballast weight, tool stand, yard art, flag base, mail box stand, whatever you call it to get just don't get excited, or talk too much. Why do you even have to tell what you are doing with it?

" How much fer dat piece yonder?" "what'ca gunna use it fer? "

1-"Nunnya" "Nunnya?" "Yep, nunnya yer business."

Or , if they need to know....

2-" Stand fer da mail box.", etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,,,,your pick.

You may also look at, or buy, some other stuff to not make that stand out. I've done this before.

Can you be around when they pull it out? If so, the other parts may be buried deeper in the pile.

I would love to just have one of the random hands out there drag it out and sell it per scrap weight and if I can great but they get curious about there junk lol but yea plan 2 is where Im headed...

I wouldnt know what to do if I managed to locate the business end of the hammer. Seeing and feeling the edge it looks like a forceful break like someone dropped it out of there truck when they drove it there.. but who knows

on the VERY slim chance it is found is there ANY way to repair that casting break? I would think the best plan of attack at a working hammer would be to torch off the old stand remnants and use the mechanics on a post configuration??

They torched and scraped every last bit of it by the time I got there this week.

Even the guy running the torch hates the yard for working the way they do, He was telling me about them scraping cars from the 40's-50's with chrome and windows in excellent condition without a second look. Buy anything you want in the yard at scrap price- But oh wait the two anvils on site, one a hornless broken pos they want 200 for and more even for the poor condition HB farriers. No not only are they half buried in the dirt but each person I talk to passes the buck to the next guy "oh I dont know who owns them but they want like 400 for them things, they go for big money at them auctions..." After hunting down someone to sell me iron in a scrap yard..... I left Purdins salvage wanting to slap someone in the face and give them a dollar to buy a clue, I dropped the pile of coil springs and axle stock I was going to buy on the office doorstep and left. Not been a good week on the road.

Scrapyards are like scrounging: *never* expect a piece to still be there the next time you visit---even if it's been in the same place for 30 years previously!

I once bought a blower from a scrap yard and the next time I went by to look at more stuff they had sold the entire scrapyard to China and were scraping it clean with *nothing* allowed out!