I Forge Iron

Christmas projects 2011

After seeing the bottle opener Jason @MacTalis Ironworks gave me at the open forge I attended last week, then have been some requests for them from my family. We'll see, I have some tools to make first so I can make bottle openers and horse heads.

And I need practice.

Phil

My parents really liked the fireplace tool set I had made for a local silent auction fundraiser, they were trying to buy it for themselves but got outbid, so I think i'll make a set for christmas. I would like to make something for the inlaws too but still no ideas on them yet.
I also hope to find time to forge a bunch of business card holders for my business clients

• 1 month later...

Its time I get to forging and building the gifts I always do this time of year, thought I might post the topic to encourage the exchange of ideas, In past years Ive done a knife, an end table, a table lamp, a pot rack, the following years for that family member I made a kitchen utensil set, and rack that matched the pot rack, then a spice rack from white ash with steel scrolls to match the previous gifts, this adds even more appreciation to your hand made work. Even a simple set of burger brands made a much better gift than the expected shirt or tie you get for that hard to shop for relative. Ive got some pics of some of these projects in the gallery though not all of them. Ive got a few ideas for this year,... mother in law wants a pair of throwing axes....but thought Id throw this out here, What forge project have you done that made a great gift? Weather elaborate or simple. I enjoy making the project even more, when its all new.

http://a5.sphotos.ak...9_2903634_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak...8_2586587_n.jpg
http://www.iforgeiro...ristmas_005.jpg
http://www.iforgeiro...ristmas_004.jpg
some of that stuff I mentioned
Woodsmith

post-97-0-39192600-1322860393_thumb.jpg post-97-0-78757000-1322860403_thumb.jpg post-97-0-66994100-1322860414_thumb.jpg
Key Ring Hammers
This year I made some key ring hammers to hand out at our December guild meeting. They are made of 3/8 mild steel, have a metal handle, and are not heat treated - all characteristics of a very poor hammer.

Regards,
Don

Key Ring Hammers This year I made some key ring hammers to hand out at our December guild meeting. They are made of 3/8 mild steel, have a metal handle, and are not heat treated - all characteristics of a very poor hammer. Regards, Don

Those are pretty cool. How do you make them?

Phil

Thanks Phil,
I score some marks 1 inch apart on a 3/8 inch square bar, and fuller them on the 2, 4, 6, 8 etc inch marks to form the cross peins back-to-back using a guillotine fuller. Then fuller the edges on all four corners, on each side of the 1, 3, 5, 7 etc inch marks to form the face. I drill the holes for the handle and then cut them apart and finish the faces with a belt grinder.

The handles are 3/16 dia by 2-1/4 long mild steel. I grind a slight taper on them, heat the hammer head to a yellow heat and pound the (cold) handle into the head until about 1/8 inch protrudes out the front. I pein the end over cold with a small ball pein hammer. Last, I heat the end of the handle and draw out a 1/4 wide by 1/2 inch long tab and roll it up with small scrolling pliers ( they are actually old snap ring pliers).

The hardest part is wire brushing them on the bench grinder without loosing too much skin.

I just picked up a few dozen 3/4 inch split rings to thread on the end to finish the key ring part.

-Don

Made this special order 42 in fire place poker for a vintage home that has a rather large and deep hearth.

42 in loa .5 in square stock with a tapered shaft 6 in basket handle classic end oil finished

Merry Christmass to all you elves out there working the magic in your shops.

Peter

post-3252-0-88198300-1323264643_thumb.jp

These are fun and easy. No forging really. I just arrange old masonry nails in a star pattern and braze them at the center. The large puddle of brass is unnecessary for making them stick, but it looks nice. Once I pickle them, I heat them with a blowtorch until temper colors start to show and dip them in oil (while still hot) for a finish.

One problem I ran into was that the nails were very hard to drill for a hanger. As the last step in assembly, I heat the area I'm planning to drill up to red and let it cool. Much easier to drill then.

They sell like hotcakes at Christmas for $5 each and make great giveaways as well.

post-6932-0-67382000-1323363396_thumb.jp