I Forge Iron

Fire Brick Firepot

Hayden H

Yes it is possible and it will work well for a wile. The problem is it will not last that long. The clinker wile semi-molten will adhere to the fire brick. Also most fire brick is not made to withstand the heat of a coal fire so its service life will be short. If you have no other options go for it. If you keep a layer of ash between the fire and the brick you will do better. You can just use a piece of iron pipe as your blast pipe as it burns away feed more in.

I was looking inot it as an option. I'm doodling up some designs for a homeade forge. I'm thinking 32 X 48, with a 4 inch lip around the edge, fire pot, and tuyere. Should I go with an electric intake blower, or a hand crank? Or go find a true electric forge blower?

I started with an electric blower and then went to a good hand crank blower as I loved the control. Then I built a well engineered double lunged bellows and switched to using that for a decade as I preferred it to even the hand crank.

When I moved I gave it away as it was time to build another one and with that one to hand I'd always be just repairing it. With the trouble getting coal as good as what I had access to in OH I'm mainly using an aspirated propane forge these days.

What is best for you is what is best for *YOU*!

• 3 weeks later...

Wait wait wait.....can you seriously use a cast iron camp skillet as a firepot? I mean I can't think of a reason why you couldn't, but... well I don't know. Sounds awesome really.

That is what I use. Mine is a 9" and the size is ok, but it is a little shallow. As Phil says, a bean pot looks about the right shape, a small dutch oven should work, and the water bowls ( I have never seen one until I googled it) looks perfect. Check out the local re-sale shop ( goodwill )

I have a feeler out for some scrap 1/2 inch plate to make a fire pot out of...I will live with my two stacked brake drums for now. They are only 8x2 inch drums off a Cavalier and the bottom one is clayed to make it cleanable. I might strap it to the bottom of the table.

The test fire was amusing because it clinkered up in a sheet at the joint between the two drums, I had to take them apart to clean the rather durable clinker.

Phil