I Forge Iron

found an IronCity post vise

edge9001

I found a 4in post vise today in dalton GA. This this seems to be in mint condition only a light surface rust, the screw threads are excellent.

There is only one problem, the guy selling it wants a lot in my opinion. $300.

If anyone wants to know where it is let me know I'll pass along the sellers info.

I already have on eand don't have room for a second

It seems vary expensive for the lack of demand and the high supply. But on the other hand no other vise can stand up the the type of work a post vise is built for, and if you needed one for a job right then then its not a crazy price. Also there is no way I could build one for that price.

But I already have 3 and don't plan on buying any more any time soon, just rambling thoughs

Any business that pays 3 times what it has to to buy the same item is not working on a sound financial foundation---all your profit is being thrown down the tooling drain. It's not hard to find post vises cheaper---I saw about 100 of them at Quad-State---including a larger Iron City one for half that price!

• 1 month later...

I found a nice 3 1/2 iron city at the scrapyard. Eleven dollars later it was mine. Dealers and collectors always want ridiculous prices. Around my area of Michigan a post vise can be found monthly for under $50.Any time I see an anvil or vise at an antique shop I ask how much just for the laugh. But some times it is worth asking.Luckily I hit 4 different scrap yards every other week. I had to build the relationships but it was worth it. For $300 you can get a better value for your money.That little Iron city touch mark doesn't hold steel any better than an unmarked $50 vise.

I will not pay for than $50.00 for a vice unless it is BIG (6 inch & up) I found a nice little Peter Wright at an antique fair and convinced the seller that is was worth much less than the $80.00 that he wanted because the screw box was blown out. $40.00 and I was packing it out of there (the screw box was split open only the last 1nch no big deal) sold it to Fewood for $50 after I repaired the screw box