I Forge Iron

Darn salt water...

Har har har ................. I am pretty sure that is a vulcan anvil, cast iron steel face. The steel has mostly broken away, and was continually used after if busted and the anvil just has been crumbling away. It is not a old anvil by typical anvil standards. Maybe 1900 to 1920s. I really don't think it has seen any salt water damage. Just another miss leading seller on ebay

ARRGGGGGGGG Grant you beat me to the post by just a few seconds

That anvil is a Vulcan, from 1875 or shortly thereafter. You can tell by the oval name cast into the side.

I have a FISHER that was used as a mooring weight in salt water. The steel is almost corroded away, the mounting lugs are mostly abraded away, but the cast iron is in good shape. That Vulcan is just plain ugly after years of abuse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Blacksmith-Bench-Vise-Clamp-Tool-FreeS-H-/160631414473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256660dec9
i thought reading this one goes right along with the salt water episode i really wish there was a way to point out to him he is missing most of his "rare antique blacksmith bench vise clamp tool" but i love what he thinks it should be used for

Looks sort of like part of a saw filing vise.

I have the *base* of an anvil that evidently broke at the waist and then was used enough to make a smooth mushroomed "face". Postman says it was most likely a Peter Wright and it is weight stamped for what the entire anvil would have weighed---so it once was a complete anvil. Still more usable that a vulcan I have on my "Wall of Shame"!