I Forge Iron

Pattern welded clock

mick maxen

Here is another example of some of my pattern welded work. This clock is about 13" tall by 4" wide and made from the same steel but using two types of ladder pattern. The pattern, I think gets its name from the way the light plays and reflects from the surface, but the surface on both of these steel plates is perfectly flat.

tri-clock.jpg

Here is a more detailed photo,

t-clock-detail.jpg

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Extraordinary effect! The top is a Ladder pattern, that I understand, but why is the bottom also considered a ladder? And how did you achieve the concentric circles? Truly awesome work! Thanks for sharing.

Robert

The method is the same for both: the typical ladder at the top is made with straight cuts, the bottom is done with smaller and smaller circle cuts.

Forgot to mention "Jaw droppingly beautiful"!

(If you consider a ladder pattern to be a set of parallel groves in the billet---well those grooves are just circular ones...gives me an idea for one I can make with my screwpress though---take some steel wire and bend it to a form and squish it in when hot---may try some cursive writing or my maker's mark...Of course you would do one side and then grind it flat and do the other...)

There are really only two ways to cause the disruption to the pattern. As has been mentioned you can emboss a pattern into the steel and then you grind it all back to flat. Or you remove metal to create grooves and then forge it all back to a flat bar.

I always think it is good to get the brain going so I won't say how the concentric ladder pattern was done, but it was not pressed in. Putting the grooves in was the easy bit then all you have to do is forge it so the pattern stays circular.

Mick.