I Forge Iron

A couple of "no welding required" hatchets

Hey Sam,

Those are really cute! Great idea!!! :)

Pam

Thanks Pam, I am not too good at forge welding(don't get enough practice), and for others who aren't these are great little projects! the chop pretty good to, for a larger axe size or splitting size, just use thicker flat bar. The bar used for these was 2 inch wide by 3/16ths thick. VERY VERY suited to being made from leaf springs. I made each one in about 45 minutes each, all there is to do is point one end of a foot or more of material, bend and counter bend the eye hole halfway, then hammer the whole eye completely over a peice of 1 3/4 inch round bar, then drill and rivet, sharpen and polish(and if you want, engrave some cool stuff into the sides like I did:D, sorry for the bad pictures, my camera doesn't like closeups).

That's a cool idea. I like the rivets.

One suggestion? Take your straight or cross pien and put a fish-tail fuller across the edge, then flatten up and bevel. This will give you that axe blade flair. Set it over the edge of your anvil and drive the top point down for more of a tomahawk flair.

Kinda like this:
hawk_fuller.jpg

Keep hammerin',

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe cool. I find the rivets let you get a better bond with the head and handle, by waiting to rivet the one closer to the handle, until you haver the handle wedge into the head, then clamp and then rivet the last one, it clamps the head to the shaft, making a REALLY tight strong bond.

• 2 years later...

heres a couple hand hoes ax mixed items iv been selling in wv for the people here who dig wild ramps,the ax is very effective in clearing fourwheeler paths also and i have become fond of carrying my own when out and about.if anyone sees an improvement im open to suggestions thanks.

13575.attach

Looks like a practical tool for trail work.Mostly what people use,of this type tool,is Pulaski,and this looks much lighter than it's 5 lbs.If you're happy with it's shape/weight,the only thing that one can improve is the eye-shape.If you were to cone out the top,making it a compression eye,like a pick-axe,it would be easier to deal with getting a new handle.Also,it would be easy to un-handle,for sharpening,packing,or whatever.

This 'hawk has a one-piece head...was slit and drifted from a piece of pavement breaker chisel (which also makes GREAT hammers and struck tools). I made this about 20 years ago and it's seen a lot of use. Still on the first handle, too - which came from Dixie Guns Works...I think they were $4-5 back then.

13576.attach

heres a couple hand hoes ax mixed items iv been selling in wv for the people here who dig wild ramps,the ax is very effective in clearing fourwheeler paths also and i have become fond of carrying my own when out and about.if anyone sees an improvement im open to suggestions thanks.

Neat looking tool but I'm a little confused about the "no-welding-required part"....:)

It was Sam showing his no weld axes in 2007 that started the thread and it's been revived recently. Don't worry about causing a little confusion, it's good for keeping folk on their toes. ;)

Nice tool. Perhaps a little arch back towards the handle on the mattock blade would make it cut better but it might not be enough better to be worth the extra work.

Frosty

yeah how do you make a pulaski withou welding?

If you look at the Pulaski head carefully,you'll see that it was built almost like a standard double-bit.Then one side was fullered narrowly-set,right close to the eye,and given a 90 deg.twist.The eye was punched with the standard immense force(making all the modern store-boughten axes tough to duplicate),and,thus was it made, without welding whatsoever...