I Forge Iron

How to know when your ready for Swordsmithing

Playinwitmetal

I know there isn't an exact science to tell a person when they are ready to take on the task of swordsmithing but I still want to ask. I've been bladesmithing for a year now and have made a couple dozen knives or so or various sizes and styles and I've learned or at least attempted different methods of heat treating and tempering and have more or less been successful (only destroyed 4 knives so far lol). I've made a couple of large items (more like medium sized things like machetes) but no actual swords.I'm also an apprentice smith for the ABS and rely on the plethora of collective knowledge accumulated by their master bladesmiths. Anywho; I've made swords out of mild steel just so I could get the basics down, but I haven't made one of a quality steel yet. I don't like to fail and I have limited amounts of Steel and I hate to waste material. So in the spirit of Conservation I wanted to ask you swordsmiths about how to judge when I'm ready for swordsmithng. Should I just dive in or perhaps are there ways to test or build myself up to the task?

Seems l ike you have acces to an answer. Those in the ABS that have seen your work and know you wold be my first choice rather than an answer from those of us that can only guess wot you do and where you are at in the process. I can give you my thoughts and am sure others will join in. You said you do not like to fail and I think that is a big thing that may jump up at you in longer work. You can make a 7" long knife blade and have a problem and maybe get a smaller nice blade from it. You can also make a knife blade and have an issue in heat treat and send it to the scrap pile. Think of those as tuition.If you are useing the abs guidelines for testing forged blades then you have an idea of how you are at heat treat.I hope you are keeping a log of wot kinds of steel you use and exact heat treatmentds you use for that and how it did in testing. That data will be like pure gold when you move ahead. Remeber top log all blades including the ones that fail if that happens. No sense in repeating that method. REmember you need to be spot on on hand finishing for a long blade and dead onn when getting it straight. Fittings are similiar to knives in that they also need to be really fit well and the lines matching the blade shape. I know you are already planning how you will heat treat a long blade, as likely wot you use now will not be quite enough.With all of this in mind I 'spect it is wot you feel is time to move ahead, Have fun and read the safety issues on this site about sords

Start thinking about how swords differ from knives. Look at *good* designs (historical examples NOT replicas which are often very poorly made and often far too heavy!) Figure out why they did what they did to get the POB, COP, vibration nodes, etc (Vibration nodes are very much a sword thing and can make the difference of a sword that sticks in your hand like it was glued there and one that wants to jump out of your hand when you hit something with it!)

Figure out why and how heat treating may differ in a sword vs a knife.

Be willing to fail.

there is one and only one answer to that question.. when you dont ask it no more, thats when ;) remember be honest to your self
and do all the home work (read up and look and feel some real swords) and remember that HT is one of the most important things.

my first sword was a real ugly one but i used a steel i knew and have done some testing on HT on and i sharpened it up put on all sorts of safety gear and then took on a 4 inch dia. ash tree and down it went after lots of insane swinging (i dont recommend this to any one) and my edge was dulled a bit but not rolled or chipped in any place. now i know that one of my blades wont break from normal use and hurt any one

play safe.