I Forge Iron

Finished building my first forge

Olivier Q

I went in a bit over my head but I really happy with the results, fired it up for the first time yesterday and it was hot enough to melt a 1/2" steel rod.

My fire pot is a bit goofy due to a mistake on one of the cuts but it works just fine.

Please forgive my ugly welding job.

post-15806-0-95828900-1313600746_thumb.j

post-15806-0-07894400-1313600770_thumb.j

post-15806-0-79392000-1313600809_thumb.j

Not bad. Did you weld from the backside to get near full penetration? I have made much worse looking welds.

Running some angle around part of the outer edge may not be a bad idea, since it will help keep loose fuel on the table.

Might be the last forge you ever need to build because it looks so stout.

Phil

It would help if your air connection was much closer to the firepot as ashes will build up in the ash dump tube until you open it and let them fall to the ground.

With your current set up you would need to do that ALL the time if you were using the coal we often get here!

Moving it to 1/2 or 2/3 the way up would allow you to work a lot longer before having to dump the ashes.

(Also if small pieces of coal or coke fall in they might continue to burn with the air being pushed through them and you don't need a glowing red ash tube!)

Welds: if they work they're great if they don't re-do them Once it's full of coal nobody will see them. If someone bends over to scrutinize them there is this trick you do with a cold wet pair of tongs----make sure they won't cut their head on the chimney hood!

:o Thomas, you gave me a mental picture that took a couple of minutes to recover from. :lol: Exil, I agree with Thomas about locating the air inlet a little higher. But other than that and the Angle iron sides that Phil mentioned, it looks like a keeper and should last a long time. Congrats on getting it up and running. Now fire it up and show us some of your work. :)

Shall I just say I have seen an ash tube glowing red and just leave it at that?

Far worse is to look in the rear view mirror and see your steel coal bucket glowing red as you are trucking down the road *thinking* the coal/coke from the forge was out when you dumped it in the bucket to go home...and that one was one of "mine"! (Luckily nothing caught on fire and I was able to pull off the road and make sure it was out!

• 2 weeks later...

Let me add my $0.02 now that version 2.0 is completed. I would put some cut outs in line with the fire pot so you can slide longer pieces threw the fire from the side. Also I would raise the blower switch up to the bottom of the table, or put it on a foot switch. Bending over to turn it on/ off is going to get old very quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looks great! I have a Buffalo forge with a huge crack in the firepot, if I go to new one, something yours would definately work!

Do you have a cover for the fan inlet? Around here if the forge sat idle for a while, I would wind up with a wasp nest in it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you do any surface grinding prior to welding? I'm thinking you would have but if not do so. I just can see any groubd surfaces. This will help with weld quality. The thing with welding is like 90% surface prep then 10% welding. THen with stick you got that whole clean up after wards. I'm lazy and bought a mig. I'm also not a great welder... another reason for ease of the mig. Looks good though. I am also in the process of rebuilding my brake drum forge with a real cast firepot.
Still needs work but here is a pic

post-16782-0-38071300-1318687582_thumb.j