I Forge Iron

What numbers do you see?

I think it says 1 - 0 - 18, with a C at the bottom. (The first 1 looks a bit strange, maybe a mis-stamp?)
What can anyone tell me about this? Should I treat it somehow, maybe oil it up? Whats it worth?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, -Jim

post-22216-0-03224700-1313418104_thumb.j

post-22216-0-30301300-1313418134_thumb.j

It think 1-0-18 would be the general consensus, the C looks more like a G to me though......It's in far shape, I'd say $2 pp or less, but I hear anvils in NY are a bit more spendy. $3pp if you must........A little spit , WD 40 or whatever and go to work!

1-0-18 = 130 pounds (+/- due to wear and accuracy of original weighing it's in the CWT weight system of course.)

I'd be happy to pay US$1 a pound and if a student of mine needed an anvil I would tell him to go to $2 a pound; some folks with more disposable income might go $3 a pound.

It's in quite good using shape with a nice face and not too bad edge wear.

It doesn't need oiling, it needs *USING*! Which will keep the face clean and polished!

A beginner would jump at the chance at having a REAL anvil to work on, while the experienced blacksmith would work around any blemishes. A 130 pound Peter Wright can be valued by what the blacksmith can use it to make. It is, after all, just a tool.

My suggestion would be to spend some serious hammer time on the anvil (50-100 hours or more) and then you will have some idea of the value of THAT tool. Besides when you sell the products you have made, you can recuperate the purchase price of the anvil.

I wipe my anvil with ATF (auto transmission fluid) or other light oil to protect it from rust. Makes it black without using paint.

Thanks all! I have no intention of selling this, it was gifted to me by my in-laws, (it was my wife's Grandfather's) and I hope to pass it to my son someday, I just wanted to know how much to insure everything for in case of trouble. (I'm starting to feed a lot of money into this new hobby!)
Thanks for the Transmission fluid tip, I'll try that.

Johnson's Paste Wax works real good also. The $$ you spend on this hobby is WAY cheaper than a new Bass boat, or Country Club membership, or new Browning over/under shotgun, or restoring a 19?? car/truck. Besides, you are feeding something that will give back. Good for you and the anvil also, looks grood.

As far as the money goes. I've sold or given away everything I've made so far. What I've sold has paid for my fuel and it's starting to pay for my tools. Best hobby (addiction) I've ever had. Lord knows I've had my share of others that didn't pay a thing. Driving fast comes to mind lol

• 6 months later...

Another post in this forum made wonder how old this may be. (They had mentioned that the P.W. anvil they had had 3 handling holes which they thought would make it pre 1852) Is this true? This has handling holes on the left and right sides, as well as one at the bottom. Just curious, Thanks!

I paid $250 for a 166# Peter Wright in pretty much the exact same condition as this one, sold by a professional blacksmith in New Brunswick. I think that was a fair price based on what I've seen since. As yours is a little smaller, what I can say is that to me, it would be worth somewhat less than $250. Prices seem to be going up, though. I think old anvils are becoming a viable investment product.

Colin