I Forge Iron

Silver Dollar Under Anvil

I was a neophyte horseshoer in the early 1960's in the Los Angeles area. An ironmonger from San Pedro shipyard was going out of business, and he called my farrier mentor saying that he had an anvil for sale. We drove to the shipyard, and Al, my master, said that he didn't need it, so I jumped on the chance to get it. It was a 158# Hay-Budden clip horn. It was somehow bolted to a cast iron cream-separator stand. Al insisted that we didn't need the stand, so we wrenched it away from the anvil. We loaded the anvil, and as we drove off, Al said that he was looking for a silver dollar that might have been sandwiched between the anvil and stand. He said that some old timey smiths used to place a dollar there when they set up shop. The closest thing I've heard to that, is using a coin in stepping a mast on a newly made sail boat or ship.

Anyone ever heerd-tell of placing the silver dollar under the anvil?

http://www.turleyforge.com

No, I never heard of that one but the placing of coins as votive offerings is a fairly common method of placating the various gods or spirits when building something new, starting a new project or a new enterprise. It's like the old penny in the fountain or wishing well thing. When I was a kid in Santa Fe a Mexican friend was a mason and whenever he started a new project he always put a silver coin in with the mortar of the first block he laid for good luck a very ancient practice.

I doubt this was done in an industrial setting, but the concept is not very surprising.

I have helped step several masts with a coin under the mast, and only a couple without at least a coin being placed at the mast step and picked up afterwards. I also know several people who race dingys that have a coin glued to the hull very close to the mast step.

Phil

Have heard many stories of Silver dollars in the tenon joints in the old dutch barns. To that effect saw a show on tv were they were reclaiming old barn wood and the boss cut out all the big beam joints with a chain saw and put them in his truck for going over later.
He too explained the tradition of some builders placing silver dollars in the joints.
I like the idea of the silver coin under the anvil, good tradition!

• 7 months later...

I used to keep money from my cash jobs under the anvil stand which had a skirt under the base and still does, just pick it all up with the crane and stash........ At one time it amounted to a small fortune, hmm....haven't looked under there in years..... :huh:

Not coins, but when Yellins' closed on Arch Street a number of smiths, me included, took the scale off of the floor just to have a part of the Yellin energy to take to their shops. A lot of us dug deep to get the oldest we could find. That's why my shop is never totally clean.

I'd love to have some of the actual Yellin work, but the scale is all I can afford right now.

Haven't heard of it under the anvil, but my house was built in the '50's and the bedroom doors still have coins on the door header trim. I was told to keep out spirits and protect one.
I used to frame houses, and often the new owner would show up to take a look. If he would bring us a case of cold beer, we'd put a current penny into the header above the front door. Burp!