I Forge Iron

Record No. A55 english anvil

The other day I stopped off at a garage sale and while looking around noticed there was an anvil for sale. It was priced at $50 but the guy gave me a deal on it or $30. Does anyone on here really know anything about this anvil or about the company that made it? Also was the deal he gave me very good?

Hey Juicaj1,
I didn't see a picture of your anvil posted. How much does it weigh, any identifying marks, and obvious damage, basically anything that will help people clue in as to it's ID.

Sounds like it could be a good deal. I guess.

Mark <><

I just bought a car that the guy wanted $100 for and gave me a deal for $50. Can you tell me what kind of car I just bought? That's what Mark was getting at, juicaj. Man, we gotta have more info than that. If it has markings on it (ie. numbers, logo, etc) try to get close up pix and post them. At any rate, sounds like you may have stumbled on to a good deal, as long as it's not cast iron. :D

Edit- Also, add your location to your profile . You may have another smith just around the corner from you. :)

Oh sorry. The only damage it seems to have is a little rust on the top and it seems to have barely been used. The blue paint is very well intact. All the markings are still visible. It weighs around 60 or so pounds. As the title says it's marked Record No. A55, made in England. I'm mostly curious about the company. This is the first anvil I've bought so I really don't know much.

I just tested out if it rings or not and no it doesn't. So I guess it's cast iron. It's still in really nice shape though and the rebound is much better than my I-beam. I might use it for a while, hope it doesn't completely break, and then sell it once I can get a steel one.

Record was a 100+ year old full line tool company that recently sold out to Irwin tools and moved production from England to China. One of my souvenirs from my trip to the UK is a centennial paperweight anvil, bought at an Ironmongers shop. (He was very put out that I called it a hardware store, that is what they call big box stores over there.) :huh:

Towards the end they were having production problems. If you have an older model it may be OK, since you said the rebound is good.

Test the top with a file and a hammer. If the corner of the tipped hammer face does not easily ding the surface with a moderate blow, and a worn file will just skate when pushed flat across the surface, it has a steel face.

Cast steel anvils tend to be quite loud ringers; if it's quiet; it's probably cast iron.

However it may still be much better than an I beam which has minimal steel below the hammer save along the web.

And the hardy hole is still a useful thing to have around even if you get another anvil. Nice to have two tools available without having to switch them at times.

• 1 year later...

infinite apologies for necro'ing a year old thread, but is this you/your anvil up on craigslist? blue painted record 55lb with light surface rust in burbank? if it is may i inquire as to how it performed (if you ended up using it) and what has prompted you to move it on to a new home(hopefully it was superceded by an upgrade)?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tls/3332747847.html

if the listing is not from you can you tell me a little about how the anvil that you have handles?

Many thanks,