I Forge Iron

How do I light my stupid coke forge?!

wooginator

So I used coal until recently when I thought "Hey, when I burn coal it becomes coke, which is hotter and doesn't release all that nasty smoke. Why don't I just buy coke from my supply website?" So I bought a bag of coke. It's xxxxxxxx impossible to get the stuff to light. My ordinary method (charcoal + lighter fluid on the bottom and coal on top) works maybe 15% of the time, and when it does it takes an hour to really get started. It's driving me crazy, especially since I just got my first real anvil and I'm really eager to try it out.

With coke you will need a constant air flow as it will go out REAL easy (read electric blower with air gate here)...course that's AFTER you get it lit! :P To light the coke using several pieces of pine or some other easy burning wood, make a stack and get it burning good BEFORE you add any coke. Once burning add small amounts of coke with til you have a good fire going. The pcs of wood need to be about 4"-5" long and about 1/2" x 1/2", make the stack like a log cabin, use lighter fluid to start the pile, then add the coke as discribed above.

I burn coal only and I use 3 pine cones and I always save coke from a previous fire, once the cones are burning I start adding the coke. I can have a fire ready with a forge welding heat in about 10mins from striking the match and lighting the cone. ( I have an abundance of pine cones...60+acres of the little darlings!) The name of my studio/shop is "Pine Cone Forge"...kinda fits...

Clean up the yard, gathering sticks, twigs, etc. Build a fire a boy scout would be proud of, then add coke and a constant flow of air.

As Stewart said, cardboard works as a fire starter. Cut it into 2 or 3 inch wide strips and roll it into a disc. Light a ball of rolled up newspaper, place the cardboard disc on top, and add coke. Give just enough air to get everything started and preheat and ignite the coke. Once the coke is burning keep the air going or it will go out quickly.

wooginator,
Go online to youtube and type in, how to start a forge fire, and you will get several videos of how it's done. Helped me out alot, and if you use newspaper ball don't use the colored glossy pages, use just the black and white pages in full sheets, never had much luck with any of the advertisement pages staying lit long enough to start my coal or coke.hope this helps. Randy

Ditto on most of the above. Balled up snooze paper (I agree with not using the colored ads), add scrap twigs or pine cones and have a constant air flow. Not a hurricane, just a constant flow. Once lit, I cover with the coke from the previous fire and keep a constant air flow. I add coal around that so it will coke up as I forge. I also take the fines and dust from breaking up my coal into usable pieces and put that on top of the coke fire. Sprinkle some water on top of the dust to form a paste and you have an oven. Leave an opening in the front for access. As the coal dome cokes add more coal to the top and it will coke up as you go. The domed "Oven" will allow you to achieve welding temp much easier. (Also allows you to burn up and melt pieces if you are not careful) :(
If you need to, you can always break the top of the dome and treat it as a normal fire allowing you to put larger and longer pieces into the sweet spot.

Mark <><

I use charcoal to light the coke, takes a few minutes and you are away. I usually light the charcoal, have coffee, by then the charcoal is established, bit of wind, done.

Failing that, a small fire with kindling while you boil your billy, will do the same thing.

I find many people don't light enough, or have too much wind, and try to get the coke going too early. This may then take several attempts and waist a good half hour.

The secret.....
Wait till About one to two coffee cups of charcoal is glowing, add a breeze, and tip on the coke slowly.

You have too much trouble, I'll do you a vid on lighting our bodgie forges..... Lol

Thanks for the advice, folks. Tried charcoal again while gradually adding coal (nasty charcoal briquettes, I'm afraid, Home Depot was out of the good hardwood stuff), then cardboard, then kindling. No luck. Ordered more coal this morning.

Is there a GFS in your area? They stock lump year round in rather large bags, cost less than most other places.

http://www.gfs.com/en/store-locator.page?

Phil