I Forge Iron

Cymbol Anvil Help

I'm looking to make a large cymbol anvil for a customer. He's thinking 10", perhaps even 14".
I've looked around at pipe caps and most schd40 stuff stops at 8" and the drop off from center to the side is to severe. As you can see from the picture the curvature is very minor. Anyone know where I can get a pipe cap like this? I've seen pvc caps with a very minor curve like this but trying to find one out of metal has escaped me. Already looked in major supply catalogs and no joy.

I have no lathe and paying to have a tool lathed this size would be bocu bucks. Taking a 2-3" piece of steel and cutting it into a circle and grinding it by hand seems like a huge effort. Gotta be some easy way to make this.

Please Halp! :P

post-4647-0-01819900-1310903726_thumb.jp

post-4647-0-84256800-1310903835_thumb.jp

They are both hammered and spun. This customer wants to hammer on an anvil like above. Hammering apparently gives richer sound. He wants to raise over an anvil instead of dish. So I'm really stuck trying to make that shape. :-\

More digging produced that people are using D2 tool steel out of rounds 6"dia x 3-4" which are shaped with beltsander or belt grinder and then hardened. Might be more than i'm willing to do for him in my small shop. But an interesting tool.

When once I needed some machining done I made use of the local Vo-Tech school. Very reasonable---just a contribution for the end of the year party fund and they did great work.

If I had to do that anvil myself I'd probably spin a chunk at a fairly slow speed while using the angle grinder clamped to an arm at the correct angle and then clean up with a belt grinder.

Note that the original shows to be not that hard D2 is probably overkill!

http://www.rjsales.com/products/buttweld/industrial/caps.html I didn't spend a lot of time looking up pipe fittings but here is just a small selection of them. These are stainless steel and other materials but you should be able to find some plain steel ones in a scrap yard somewhere or another. If you will notice they do go up to 24" in diameter and if you go down to the Schedule 80 pipe the wall thickness it .500 and if you go down to the schedule 160S it is a bit over 2" Which should be good enough for brass. These will not be inexpensive new but if you were to weld a cap on the end and fill it with lead it would make a very nice anvil for brass and be very quiet. Can't you just see it now all shiny and bright in stainless steel :blink:

there are a lot of manufactures out there that make this type of pipe fittings so don't think that just because I put down the first one I came to it is the only one that makes them. <_<