I Forge Iron

Pictures from the auction

He was a collector but he also wasn't afraid to use his tools. He occasionally taught a blacksmithing course for the local guild.

He tried buying my 25 pound LG clone trip hammer about a decade ago when I was living in a different province. He saw the hammer at my dad's shop and offered to buy it. When I talked to him at the sale on Saturday he claimed collecting BS tools was like an illness to him. Now he's getting up in years and looking after the farm is too much for him so he is moving into town.

I picked up 2 anvils, 5 post drills, and about 10 sets of tongs.

This was in Saskatchewan, Canada (north of North Dakota, Montana)

Can I be rude and ask.....

How much?

I would also like to say..... DARN! you was a lucky man. We have an old smith out here who is doing a sale again this Aug., you may have heard of him Mark, John Babcock of Cherhill

Hey Dennis,

For the anvils I paid roughly $1/pound. For the tongs I paid $1/pair. For the post drills I paid $1 each. Keep in mind there wasn't too much at the sale that would be considered to be in great shape. But a lot of it was servicable.

I kind of live under a rock so I the name doesn't ring a bell. Is he involved with the guild up there?

Man, thats awsome..Theres never,never ever! anything like that around here..Ive been searching the whole eastern part of my state for years and havent seen more than a half dozen pieces of smithing equipment together at one time..None of them ever being a power hammer or swage block..

I'm curious about the odd looking power hammer, not the Star or whatever it is, but the one with the offset anvil. The clutch and linkage look factory, but the rest home made? An old sheet metal hammer? If you had any other observations of it please share! Thanks.

The base is a flywheel off an old John Deer and the anvil and lower frame is an old, large crankshaft. The owner estimated that it was about a 17 pound hammer. It sold at the auction for $5. It just needed a new v-belt to drive it.

The builder was a local guy that was legendary for his ability to build anything that anyone asked. I'm not sure where he got the parts. Perhaps some of the parts were off another hammer? I think the clutch was scabbed together off of other machinery parts though.

Wow, that is a lot of beautiful stuff, I was drooling over the power hammers! Down here you see anvils and grindstones and other blacksmith stuff used as garden/ lawn art not for working. As good as it looks in someones garden it would look better at work in someones shop! lol