I Forge Iron

My "new" anvil

Hi all,

I bought my first anvil yesterday. It's a bit battered, with quite a big chip taken out of one of the edges, but it has plenty of sharp(ish) edges and flat surfaces. Seems to rebound ok when I hit it and it rings really nicely.

It cost me £75 which is a lot cheaper than some of the similar size anvils I've seen go on ebay recently.

I can't see any makers mark or weight stamp on there though. I'm guessing it's about 70-80kg. I can just about lift it off the ground but can feel things breaking inside me when I try :)

Any one got any idea who the maker might be, or even what sort of age it is? I believe it's post-1835 because of the pritchel hole?

P1140481.jpg

P1140475.jpg

Thanks,

Al

Thanks guys :) I've attacked it with a wire brush after I took the pics but no makers mark so far... will give it another go with a bit more elbow-grease this evening.

Can't wait to get working on it but need to build my forge first!

great anil mate i lke the ones with two horns,mine is a london pattern of one & a half hundreadweight. when i am not using it for a while i rub it over with boiled linseed oil,It keeps the rust off & dries out.keeps it looking good.

You never know, it might shatter the first time I give it a proper whack! But yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it :)

Son if ya can shatter that one with a good whack Please stay on your side of the pond. Enjoy my friend(as I am sure ya will) Get it HOT and hit it HARD.
Ken.

Now Mark there are those shop drawings that show the anvil oriented with the horn towards the smith too....hard to keep a pointless argument down and later we'll have dead horse pate...

But, but, but, I thought that might rear its ugly head but........ :P

Steak anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah she is a looker.. A very nice shape... (not condition, the actual shape... Condition seems a bit rough but hard to tell until you get her clean) I have not seen one like that with the hardie set to one side.... I really like anvils with a long bick and the slope away beard underneath..

You did good!