I Forge Iron

Blacksmith shop

I found an old blacksmith shop about 20 minutes from my house. Its in a center that has a resturaunt and a couple other shops including a working handmade saddle shop. I looked throught the window and seen the tools. They were covered in dust. I am going to talk to the resturaunt owner and see if they have a blacksmith that works there. If not maybe I can work out a deal with them on the use of the shop.

Well I went and talked to someone and was told they do not have a Blacksmith. The woman I talked to told me she was going to have someone call me tomorrow. They are looking for a smith. To bad im not a smith yet. I told her I'm just starting out, and that maybe I could come and work in the shop when I get a little more experience. By the way the resturaunt had some of the best ribs I have ever ate. This is a picture of the front of the building.

post-21702-0-08935100-1310259622_thumb.j

Maybe your chance to work what little expertise you have into a lot of expertise. Almost all of us started off making a few fire pokers, key rings, candle holder and such, most folks are in plain awe of seeing these made in front of them even by a mediocre smith so go ahead give the owner your best pitch, heck even offer to work for free ribs for two months at first. :blink:

Man-o-man but that sounds like an envious deal. like Bentiron said, all of us started making small things. it is amazing that people will watch you make a simple drive hook and suddenly they just have to buy it. not from the bunch on the counter, but the one you just made. I would give quite a lot to be able to work in a shop that is already there and supplied.

Do not be shy about your lack of experience. Get in there anyway you can light a fire and start beating some iron and before you know it you will have some more experience. I am sure there are lots of folks here willing to share some simple projects to help you out.

Yup sounds like they have a demo shop and would be just as pleased to have someone making S hooks and leaf key fobs as doing major difficult forgings.

Perhaps work out a deal where you would work Saturday and Sunday Afternoons in return for feeding the family...

Yup sounds like they have a demo shop and would be just as pleased to have someone making S hooks and leaf key fobs as doing major difficult forgings.

Perhaps work out a deal where you would work Saturday and Sunday Afternoons in return for feeding the family...

Yes, a weekend gig could work out well, especially if you need to keep your day job. Sounds like a great opportunity where there may be room for creative options... it sounds like the owners have a historic shop which is a potential visitor/customer attraction, but they aren't making it work. I wonder if you could find a win-win business solution, where you could take advantage of the history draw and turn it into a metal arts "destination" that would bring customers to the owners' other businesses, while bringing them to your door. I don't think lack of experience is a problem, but it might mean it would be a good idea to find more experienced partners to work with you. Don't know if any of these ideas would make sense, without knowing your situation and the owners' motivation.... but just brainstorming:

1. Could you find a more experienced smith (or smiths) interested in coming in now and then and working with you as you gain experience?

2. If the shop has the space and power, etc. to be a good light industrial workspace and the owners are flexible, there might be a small guy ornamental ironworker around who's ready to move out of his garage for a low enough lease. Having some metalworking activity in the shop during the week might be attractive to the owners for the sake of visibility & public interest, even if its not 100% forging... and you could still do the traditional demo stuff on weekends. You might be able to set up a partnership and win-win deal for everyone.

3. If you have a local blacksmith guild in the area, you could look at establishing a home shop for them; you could be the shop manager and go-between with the landlords, the guild could have a permanent space... maybe host open forge nights and business meetings on weekday evenings and do open-to-the-public meetings/demos on weekends.

4. You might be able to establish a collaborative arrangement with several artist-blacksmiths... give everyone their own work area and everyone share "community" tools (power hammer, drill press, saws, etc.)... demo/exhibit/sell your stuff on weekends...

Dude!
If you don't jump on that your crazy!!!! They are looking and so are you! Sounds like potential to me! Why let some other guy take the glory? The smell of the coal and the ring of the anvil...Mmmmm.... Experience will come but the opportunity is here GO FOR IT!!!!
Ok maybe I wish something like that would come up in my sleepy little town...