I Forge Iron

You cant help some people...

So doing a eBay search for Forging hammer up pops this thing

"Forging hammer"

So I send the guy a note and say "hey, this is a punch or mechanical press... Not a forging hammer... Maybe you would have better luck if you listed it as such" So he sends me back a message and says "its Actually both a punch press and a forging hammer, it has a hole in the table for the anvil!"

So since I didnt want to just say "listen, its not" I said this

Dear newamsterdammetalworks718,

Well then it's a forging press, not a hammer. A open or closed die forging hammer does not have a fixed stoke but rather a "tup" of a given weight that is freely allowed to strike the work. I own an industrial forge shop and buy and sell forging equipment.... Under no circumstances would this be considered a hammer... Anyway it's yours, you can call it what ever you like but someone looking for a forging hammer is not looking for this machine. A press is measured in tons (as this is a 60 ton) hammers are classified by tup weight
- llltoolz

So he responds and says if you want to buy it, buy it.. if not dont talk to me... (Im paraphrasing)

Anyway I find it strange that you try and help a guy out and he gets upset... No one looking for a hammer would buy a punch press, and no one looking for a punch press is going to search for a forging hammer.. Why wouldnt you listen to someone trying to help you sell your thing??

your right monster, thats a nice machine, would love a press in my little shop, course i'd have to learn how to use it...

as far as trying to set him straight, some people just don't like being wrong. and if you try to help em correct the mistake, no matter how much

tact and civility you have, they will still take offense...

just like you said some people just can't be helped...;)

Larry,

To some it's an ecentric press(I have some and they are fantastic) to others it 'may' be a hammer providing you shove a wooden stick in the right place and call it a handle!

There are folks out there who will even ask "what is this?" and if the answers, though right do not suit the preconsieved idea that they have, they will ignore the answers and repeat the question......Twits! is all I can say.

I recon contacting the guy and trying to help him you once again reafirmed the addage-'NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED'

Ian

Ironsmith,

Get one you will never regret it - unless you try to use it as a hammer that is - especially after you have cut the foot off your anvil in order to 'pop' it into it's mounting hole. :D

Well Twit just got another "it's not a hammer" comment from me. Let's see how he responds. Maybe if we all comment that it is not a hammer, it will sink in. These types of wrong listings are how you can score a great deal on E-pay if it is a no reserve auction.

I had a guy selling an anvil "broken by the Union during the Civil War." Tried to direct him to a debunking of that tale listing, but he refused to read it. "it's a well known fact that they broke the anvils in the South."

I make some tongs for a large drop-forging operation. One of the first guys to contact me made the comment "We do the same thing, we just have bigger hammers."

Well, it turns out they don't have any hammers. :lol: They have some crank-presses that are about the size of my house, but they're not hammers.

I had a smaller eccentric type punch press at my old shop. It was an interesting machine and I did a few jobs with it. Never even got around to exploiting it's deep throat. I wish I had moved it to the new shop, but space didn't allow at the time.

Larry, don't wrestle with a pig. you'll just get muddy and the pig enjoys it.

BigGun, be careful, you harass him too much and he'll turn up on this forum and tell us how ignorant we are. (Especially if you give him a link! ;) )

You can fix ignorent, but you can't fix stupid. :wacko:

About 10 years ago I pick up a 30 ton press like this one for a $100 complete and running. I thought I would do something with it but not sure what? I had to move a couple of times while I owned it. I got xxxxxx when I had to move it the next time and finally sent it to the scrap yard. I now have big regrets. Now thats STUPID!

I've noticed that folks get quite irate when you seem to think that *THEY* should know what they are selling and not misrepresent it.

Had one ask me how they should know what it was they were selling, then that they were disabled and couldn't get to a library to research things they bought at auctions for re-sale. (Of course they could go to the auctions and definitely had internet access as that was how they were re-selling stuff!)

Don't know how many times I've seen bunion stretchers for shoes advertised as "Blacksmith's tongs"

These types of wrong listings are how you can score a great deal on E-pay if it is a no reserve auction.

A couple years ago I found a bunch of brand new Tom Tongs mis-described on eBay. I told the guy what he had, then I forgot to bid before the auction expired. I could've had them for like $10 a pair. He ended up relisting under the correct description and selling them to a bunch of blacksmiths at a much higher price. D'oh!

I've noticed that folks get quite irate when you seem to think that *THEY* should know what they are selling and not misrepresent it.

Don't know how many times I've seen bunion stretchers for shoes advertised as "Blacksmith's tongs"

Blacksmiths use those tongs to forge steel toed boots Thomas. <SHEESH!>:rolleyes:
Frosty the Lucky.

You mean like these? http://im.videosearch.rediff.com/thumbImage/videoImages/videoImages1/ugoto/rdhash714/steel-toe-flip-flops-7c3.jpg

Lets see you would need a hammer and an anvil and some metal moving skills---better hunt down a blacksmith! (got a mirror handy?)

You cannot teach someone who is unwilling to learn. My wife is a high school English teachr, just ask her.

Sure you can, it just takes the right incentive like; don't work don't eat, or stick quiz.:unsure:

Okay guys, now you have me thinking about forging up some pattern welded steel toed flip flops. Do I smell a contest in the air?

Frosty the Lucky.