I Forge Iron

Banana peels for removing splinters

My link

Personally I keep a pair of magnifying tweezers handy in the shop, but I had to pass this one along... apparently banana peels have an enzyme that helps remove splinters.

I think I will try it next time I have issues getting one out.
If anyone has any experience with this it would be nice to know.

I've heard that banana peels on a wart helps it heal and go away. I have a splinter that is in a knuckle and it healed over. I'ts taking too long to fester and come out.
I may try the bacon fat route. If I fall asleep with it on the splinter, the dog will gnaw it out. :o

There are a lot of home/shop remedies out there and some actually work. I just happen to have a banana peel. I'll give it a try.

Notice they don't address what the splinter is made from. Lots of folks don't even know about metal splinters!

I find one of the scary strong rare earth magnets is a help for ferrous splinters. Old disk drives are a cheap (free!) source. Keep it in a closed pill bottle so it doesn't grow "hair" in the shop though!

I love it! I will need to get a magnet, iodine, bacon fat and a good dog and try them all out at the same time.
:lol:
now as long as the dog doesn't slip on the banana peel while eating the bacon and spills the iodine all over the shop and knocking the magnet out of the pill bottle...it should all work fine.
:lol:

Notice they don't address what the splinter is made from. Lots of folks don't even know about metal splinters!
I find one of the scary strong rare earth magnets is a help for ferrous splinters.

Never has worked for me. I've rare earth magnets from 1/8 inch all the way up to ones that'll break your fingers if they get caught between and unless the metal sliver was just barely gripping the skin or really large, it's never helped pull one out. Hence the Xacto . . . But hey, results may vary for other folk.

Well I'm a excavate type of guy too but when you get the trough dug using the magnet to lift the splinter out works for me better than needing a magnifier and sharp pointed tweezers and trying to get invisible pieces out.

I have also used a REM to pull a piece of sharp steel out of my eye---not embedded but laying on it, one of the nasty curved pieces a die grinder kicks out that had lain in wait in my hair until my goggles and face mask were off---sure glad I removed it before it got pushed into the eye---it's about 50 miles to the nearest eyedoctor!

Now that's a make-sense Thomas - Get it opened up then use the magnet to pick it out, haven't done that yet. My eye doc said the same thing about using a magnet to pull a surface object off of your eye. Luckily I haven't had to give that a try so far!

I always keep a clear path to the safety shower and eye wash and flush the eyewash weekly. As soon as I feel anything in my eye I rinse it out immediately. Actually I have never needed the safety shower except to cool off but it is nice to have just in case.

I work with wood and drywall screws mostly on my day job. The 1/4" ply has little "hairs" on the cut edge, and they just stick in my skin, if I wait till I get home, (which is most of the time) sharp knife edge dragged back and forth in a stropping motion, then in a "shaving" motion seems to get them out. WASH your hands first, take your tim, it makes the wood swell and come out easier. Think 10 minute warm water soak....

As for the little bits of steel that I get from the drywall screws.... I give my wife a pair of fine pointed tweezers and she pulls them out, she enjoys it.....

How do enzymes in a banana peels help get splinters out? A little science here would be good. What enzymes? What do they do to your skin that helps get splinters out?

Oh by the way, sticky tape, like packing tape, can pull fiberglass fibers out your skin after playing with insulation...

best of luck
Cliff

when you get small slivers of glass in you, use a cotton rag andgently twist it around the area, pushing on the out side and it will make the sliver push up and "core" the wound and the rag will catch on the sliver and out she comes.also for those in cactus country....the 100's of hair spines can be removed by duct tape. but then again...a oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure.hope ya'll never have to use these remides

A bit of yellow or white glue spread over the sliver and allowed to dry will often pull it out when peeled off. Never tried it on metal slivers but it works pretty well for the wood ones. I have a pair like these http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004245/9012/Sliver-Gripper-Tweezers.aspx and they work great for the metal slivers.

Ward

I'm not advanced enough in age to be considered wise, yet, but I too am a ditch digger for splinters. I regularly was digging them out with my utility knife. My wife used to (probably still does) think I was a nut for that, but it works. My hands now look like I rassle angry kittens for a hobby.

Oh, and Thomas, I too use the REM idea for metal splinters in the eye. been there, pulled that. As much as I love the use of safety glasses, ALL of the times I went to the ER for removal of splinters in the eyeball, was a result of the sawdust swirling around behind the glasses. I tried goggles but they just fog up.