I Forge Iron

styles of ironwork

Almost a century ago a new style of ironwork design hit Europe, Art Noveau , it only lasted a short time,but was unlike anything ever done in wrought iron before. A great name of the movement was Victor Horta, his ironworks are spectacular! An Archtitec . his designs for a building were of a complete package and revolutionary in style and craftsmanship, I do not know who his 'HANDS' were but their work is great. The scrolls and bars school of ironworks lost the competition, and since, it seems it has degraded to ornamental ironworks. Cast iron arrowheads arc welded to steel tubing... nuff said. Any blacksmith who is interested in producing an attractive product in wrought iron would do well to look at this style.http://www.nga.gov/feature/nouveau/exhibit_intro.htm

A great inspiration for sure and it would be wonderful to have more information on the smiths that created the work. I don't think scrolls lost out for many of the works of the era used scrolls and geometric lines in the same piece with the organic work. I hope all was not lost to the cut and weld guys, one of my favorite books with lots of pics is Art Nouveau Decorative Ironwork.

post-2769-0-20708900-1307282137_thumb.jp

A revival of blacksmithing? Who would have thought it would be so big today back in 1971, when i got my first anvil .Why not a revival of Art Noveau? a centenial revival of a style like no other before. I am going to show samples to clients who want something special.

Almost a century ago a new style of ironwork design hit Europe, Art Noveau , it only lasted a short time,but was unlike anything ever done in wrought iron before. A great name of the movement was Victor Horta, his ironworks are spectacular! An Archtitec . his designs for a building were of a complete package and revolutionary in style and craftsmanship, I do not know who his 'HANDS' were but their work is great. The scrolls and bars school of ironworks lost the competition, and since, it seems it has degraded to ornamental ironworks. Cast iron arrowheads arc welded to steel tubing... nuff said. Any blacksmith who is interested in producing an attractive product in wrought iron would do well to look at this style.http://www.nga.gov/feature/nouveau/exhibit_intro.htm

Who Are you, and what have you done with Old N Rusty. I do not reconize this style of writing and this is not what I am use to. :unsure::wacko: :lol:

Dont worry it is still the old and rusty, I think you notice a change because i got back from England with a mission, a plan an idea. I want to learn as much as i can, as soon as i can. My time is not to be wasted anymore. It is too precious. It will soon be right to go to Frank Turleys blacksmithing school. He has trained older folks and some pretty feeble ones too.

Dont worry it is still the old and rusty, I think you notice a change because i got back from England with a mission, a plan an idea. I want to learn as much as i can, as soon as i can. My time is not to be wasted anymore. It is too precious. It will soon be right to go to Frank Turleys blacksmithing school. He has trained older folks and some pretty feeble ones too.

Just love it when inspiration hits, we need more missionaries out there. Sorry we didn't get to meet when you were over here, but a lot to see in a small area

Good luck on your mission !!!

I have heard that a trip across the pond will do this to a person. I would like to make the trip myself someday. Most all of my family descendants are Celtic.

To label architectural periods and applied art periods can be confusing. It requires much study. There is overlap. There are cultural lags There are time warps and differences from one country to another. Let us remember that ironwork is a human construct, and the names ascribed to ironwork and periods are also human constructs.

In my Spanish book,* they have some lessons divided into Roman, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Modern, and Contemporary. To that, of course, we can add OldRusty's and Powers' Art Noveau, Neo Gothic, and Art Deco. There is the early 1900's Art & Crafts Movement in the U.S. Then, there is the Catalan architect, Antoni Gaudi, whom I think defies classification.

* "Guía Practica de la Forja Artistica"

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Gaudi was a great. In the Architecture "lab" at the U of AR where all the 2nd year students have to do project after project out of foam core board there was a hand made sign saying "Free Antonio Gaudi!"

Just compare his apartment building in Barcelona with the brutalist concrete structures of the late 20th century...

The Arts & Crafts movement in some ways was more an idea than a certain style, though the "craftsman bungalow" did become a defining part of it as did Gustave Stickley's work. In some sense the "artist blacksmiths" of today are the grand children of the A&C movement as it encouraged people to make things their selves by hand! There is a lovely book on blacksmithing from just pre-WWI published by Popular Mechanics(?) that was the out growth of A&C. I was happy to see it now in electronic format as I had discussed with Lindsey Publications about re-printing it at one time.

Mr. Turley, I simply cannot wait to sit in your forge and soak up all the knowledge you are willing to share. I really wish i had heard about you , say 20 years ago. It will be great to go to your school!

I think we met briefly in Covington, 2000AD.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools