I Forge Iron

First attempt at mokume gane

Altusjg

Here is the finished product of my first attempt at mokume gane using quarters. I stacked $1.75 in quaters for this little pendant. I used copper wire to make a loop to hang the pendant on. I gave it to my daughter and she loves it. Think i'll be trying my hand at this again soon. Thanks for looking.

post-18517-0-17383200-1306985366_thumb.j

post-18517-0-71217200-1306985378_thumb.j

nice job
arn't quarters fun
lately I have been playing with nickles and roof copper as I am too cheap to use quarters
I made a disk cutter out of a piece of round and a couple of shaft collars
this gives a lighter collored finished product thicker copper would be more like quarters
also incase you dont know quarters can be worked on edge after the initial sticking of the billet

781- Yeah this little project was a lot of fun. I made a jig to hold the quaters which consist of two pieces of flat bar cut into 3" pieces with holes drilled on either ends and a couple bolts to squeeze em down tight. I have silver brazing wire as well as copper and found them both to work fine on quaters. Guess it would just depend on which alloy you wanted to add. I'll have to give nickles a try. Ill definately be picking up some scrap copper and other non ferrous alloys to practice this technique. I'll have to try working them down from the edges next time to see what kind of patterns can be brought out but was trying the raindrop pattern specically on this one. Thanks again for looking and for the comments.

Yes iron wood, for as much as my daughter liked this little trinket, it is in deed the best $1.75 ive spent in a while. :)

As for defacing money

I beieve the statue only makes it illegal to sell the materials as scrap
It is OK for scientific and artistic purposes
Making $1.75 into $50 or more is OK

Thanks again for the replies guys and for the "defacing government property" warning although i was already aware. One can never be to safe. ;)
CurlyGeorge- i'm still learning about the process myself and would hate to give you any misinformation. I have gotten a good deal of info from one of the posts in the metal specific discussion section tittled Mokume Gane (make sure to capitalize the M and G). Read through that post and you will know all that i do on the subject. To me, it seems pretty similar to pattern welding steel with variations in temps and alloys used.

781- Yeah this little project was a lot of fun. I made a jig to hold the quaters which consist of two pieces of flat bar cut into 3" pieces with holes drilled on either ends and a couple bolts to squeeze em down tight. I have silver brazing wire as well as copper and found them both to work fine on quaters. Guess it would just depend on which alloy you wanted to add. I'll have to give nickles a try. Ill definately be picking up some scrap copper and other non ferrous alloys to practice this technique. I'll have to try working them down from the edges next time to see what kind of patterns can be brought out but was trying the raindrop pattern specically on this one. Thanks again for looking and for the comments.

Yes iron wood, for as much as my daughter liked this little trinket, it is in deed the best $1.75 ive spent in a while. :)

I set up a jig to punch a hole in the coin with my whitney punch and I rivet the stack together with a copper rivet much easer