I Forge Iron

Cracks

I tried making my first tongs, and miserably failed!! I'm getting stress cracks where the jaws turn to the rivet location. What might be causing this? Too cold? Too many heats? I've tried 3 different times with 2 different stocks and the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
As requested here is a pic of my 3 attempts.
post-20941-0-61518400-1306621740_thumb.j

I had a similar problem when I was working on a friend's anvil with sharp edges. Somehow, it is almost impossible to keep from getting digs if you are doing shouldering operations. It may help to use fullers to develop the transitions, and avoid shouldering blows. What is the radius on the anvil's edges?

Your outside corners are very sharp and you need bigger radii in the inside corners. You have also gotten folds(cold shuts/galls) in your job when you were forging it out. Having bigger radii will help prevent this, it will also help prevent a notch effect starting the cracks.

Phil

Evfreek- The radii is probably less than it should be. My anvil is a second hand one that looked like it had seen better days, but the price was right for me. I'll try to make a fuller and try that.

Don't tread on me- I have a bunch of spikes that my kids had collected along the tracks they recently updated, they had alot of fun "helping dad". The problem is I don't have any tongs to hold them to be able to heat. I'm just starting out with 2 forges, a blower, an anvil, and 5 hammers.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge. I'll post my progress.