I Forge Iron

A try at some "refined" Damascus

bipolarandy

I thought id share some photos of the Damascus iv been working on for a few weeks.
Usually I forget to take photos of the stuff im working on as i make it, but I remembered to on this one.

I started out with one large diamond file, and a piece of 1045 that i drew out to the same dimensions. I cut those up, stacked them together and got a billet 8 layers thick.
Then I drew that out, and cut it into 8 pieces and re-stacked and welded it.

stacked-billet.jpg

welding1.jpg

I did it this way to save my self the many folding and welding operations, And as long as you have use of a power hammer : ), i think its the way to go.
Now my billet has 64 layers, I forged it out again and cut it into 10 pieces and welded it back together.

welding2.jpg

billet1.jpg

-Andrei

1544.attach

1545.attach

1546.attach

1547.attach

That gave me about 640 layers( give or take ), I know iv lost alot of steel due to very oxidizing gas forge Iv been making this in.

Then I forged that billet out into a bar about 1/4" by 1" wide and about a foot long.

bar.jpg

And scrolled it up into a jelly roll

jelly-roll1.jpg

jelly-roll2.jpg

I did the jelly roll because I thought it was a neato idea, and id never done one before.

Now im going to start forging that into a flat bar that will become the blade.
Its quite apparent how much metal iv lost during the forging. I started with billet almost twice the size of that.

-Andrei

1548.attach

1549.attach

1550.attach

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I get excessive scaling I turn the gas up a bit.
You want a slightly carbonizing mixture in your forge.
I lose next to nothing from scaling when I've got it set right.
I use a rheostat to control the blower and it's not that good but it can be done.
That should be a cool looking blade when it's finished.

Dodge, no air control for your burners? My aspirated ones have a disk that I can adjust the air intake with. Not as adjustable of stable as my blown forge but I can get it reducing.

Tom, yes I do have chokes on my burners but they don't seem to make a lot of difference unless fully closed, but I haven't done any definitive testing. Just going by sound as I use my hand to fully close and can't see the flame. I know there's probably more I can do to improve things, but it gets hot and it'll makes steel a purty yellow color so for now I live with it :D. Thinking of building a new forge with blown burners eventually.