I Forge Iron

Being charged a fee to demonstrate and sell

After reading all the thoughts and advice that has been previously posted, I'm about to find out how our counties Historic Society feels about a blacksmith demo during our Indian Summer Festival this Sept. I have posed the question to them via email to see if they were interested in having a blacksmithing demo and allow me to sell my forgings. They have no demos of any sort unless you count the funnel cake trailer. I have not approached them with any possible financial aspects and won't do so until they tell me if they are interested in a demo.
They charge $100 for a booth (non demo) if you register before 1 june. If I had to pay for a booth, I would look at how many things I have to make just to pay for the booth.

If they let me demo and sell and keep what $ I make off of what I sell, then I'm in. :D

If not, I'll go visit the festival, get a meal from one of the local VFD's, skip the funnel cake and enjoy the day.

Mark<><

Ok, so I got my reply back. After I explained to them my costs and how it would draw a crowd and the benefit of a live demo, they said they had to check with the "committee". Hahahahahaha.

And the committee says!

They want to expand the festival since this is the 30th yr and would love to have me.

If I wanted to demo and hand out info about blacksmithing and not sell, they would consider me nonprofit and there would be a $50 fee.

If I wanted to demo and sell my forgings (all away from the vendor area), $100 fee.

Sooooo, no blacksmith for them this year. They should rename it the Indian Summer Fundraiser.

I really like it when people come to visit me when the forge is lit and talk, they almost always walk away with something small for free.

Mark<><

First off, I wouldn't give an event coordinator that treated me like that the time of day.

SOMETIMES I'll pay IF I see a reasonable chance of profit.

However, I ALWAYS request free or discounted space and usually when I am refused I have to can the show just because there is no way I could come out on the good side.

However, when I have a show coordinator that says I'll have to pay and they couldn't care less if I demo, (or they crank up and drive off,) I wouldn't support a show like that.

Mark said "Sooooo, no blacksmith for them this year. They should rename it the Indian Summer Fundraiser."
Well said! So many of these shows or history events are run by people who want to get as much money out of you as they can. And they ain't gettin' my money!

The Fine Arts they are pushing are painting and sculpture with a wildlife theme. Ifn I was doing *ART* I would fit right in and be expected to pay a booth fee too and have a place in the big tent and no forge...

As a craft I get to have fun out in the parking lot along with the wildlife rescue groups and the espresso booth run by a friend. As this place is only 15 miles from my house it's a good way to raise local awareness for me and the crowd of Birders is a good one! (Festival of the Cranes, Bosque Del Apache, (near) San Antonio NM)

It kind of depends on whether you want to do the gig or not .
I spent 8 years demoing at craft faire 24 a year!!
I was paid £100 a day and that almost covered expenses . so there was no possability of making a big loss .
It can be a little dis-hartening being the person who adds the "quality" to an event .

• 1 month later...

The few I do, I ask for shade or cover for a couple of forges worth, power and water, vehicle access, and that the blokes aren't ripped off for some lunch, or I take the BBQ essentials. I go to promote the club, and dish out trinkets for the kids.... Big and small.

One invite I turned down, was going to cost about $400.
Shade hire, stall fee, per person fee, not allowed to cook our own food, but we could buy extra food vouchers, and ......

The two we did recently, were catered, sheltered, and fun.

I think if you go to sell as a business, and don't have to pay for the stall, all good.

If you make good money and have fun being there, a small stall fee is ok, ...... A percentage of your takings? Snap out of it , unless it really is a big money winner or lead finder.

If they want you there as an attraction, they shouldn't be charging you anything, and should maybe offer some assistance, as the few we do, do.

I've just started trying the demo thing to attract potential customers to my booth. I only done 2 so far and haven't had to pay. I just heard back from one that is happening in about a month and they are trading the vender fee for the space I'll use blacksmithing. There is another show I'm thinking about that will give me the blacksmithing spot and I pay for the vending spot. I might be willing to pay for the vending space but I'll walk away from paying for the blacksmithing spot.

ron

• 5 weeks later...

I just got word this evening that the next town over, Edenton, NC would love to have me do a demo for their "2nd Saturdays" Waterfront artisan gathering next month. It is to help with their tourism.

They do not charge to do a demo.
They do not charge for a booth to sell items.

Gotta love that little town!

Mark<><

I just got word this evening that the next town over, Edenton, NC would love to have me do a demo for their "2nd Saturdays" Waterfront artisan gathering next month. It is to help with their tourism.

They do not charge to do a demo.
They do not charge for a booth to sell items.

Gotta love that little town!

Mark<><

Congratulations Mark, hope all goes well. Edenton's a nice little town.