I Forge Iron

BBQ tools

Marksnagel

Here is a set of BBQ tools I finished today. I would have finished them the other day but I got to talking as I was turning the blower crank and well, not being a multi tasker, burnt up the spoon. Too many irons in the fire. :unsure: The spoon was fun to make.
All are between 20 and 24 inches long to reach the stuff on the back of the grill to limit the smell of burnt knuckle hairs (guys). I actually impressed myself. (not a difficult task)
Beautiful spring day here. A good day to be forging outside. All are coated in bees wax.

post-14490-0-32543500-1304202090_thumb.jpost-14490-0-90650000-1304202072_thumb.jpost-14490-0-01215000-1304202055_thumb.j

Thanks for looking.

Mark<><

Looking good- I have not done a spoon yet, maybe I will give it a try.
I have burned up many a project, just shrug it off and start over- what else can you do? Chalk one up for experience, the second one will always be nicer anyways

Looking good- I have not done a spoon yet, maybe I will give it a try.
I have burned up many a project, just shrug it off and start over- what else can you do? Chalk one up for experience, the second one will always be nicer anyways

Thanks George and Clinton.

True about experience and starting over. Since I had the vine and leaf already done on the other end, I just hot cut off the burnt spoon and made it into a shorter steak turner for a different set. Then I got more practice making leaves on the next spoon. The thing I liked about making the spoon was that I used the top of the oak stump alongside the anvil. There wasn't an indentation for the spoon shape when I started but as I shaped the hot iron it burnt a nice bowl in the top of the stump as I went. If I want larger spoons I'll just keep using the same bowls and they will grow . If I want the same size I'll just start new spots on the stump. My poor mans swage block. It works.

They all started out as 1/4" x 1" x 9" stock and grew to 20-24" long. I needed the 1" for the spoon and the fork. Lots of hammering to draw them out but that teaches me hammer control. Also tried different ways to draw them out. Horn, edge of face (not mine) :blink: , angled blows, cross pein. I found that each method has a unique result that can be used in other circumstances. What I need to find/buy/make now is a diagonal pien hammer. As I have read from others it will work pretty well for drawing out because of the angle of the stock in my tong hand and the angle of the pien it gives a 90º strike. Assuming that your hammer pien is oriented for your prefered hand.

I've probably got @30 BBQ tools I have made and they are all unique and they all have taught me something different.

Probably the one thing that they have taught me most often is that black can still be hot. I don't need to be taught that nearly as much anymore but somehow I seem to sign up for a refresher course every now and then.

Mark<><

You can use it for anything you want :D

The origonal idea is to ladel BBQ sauce onto the meat on the grill. It is 24 inches long and allows you to reach the food on the back of the grill that would normally cause you to lose the hair on your hand, forearm and one eyebrow from leaning over the fire. We have grills here large enough to roast a pig.

Or, if your child is such a messy eater that you are afraid of getting too close when they eat, you can feed them oatmeal from 2 ft away. :P

Have a blessed day.

Mark<><

• 2 weeks later...

I have just completed a "Cowboy Cookset", it is a tripod that converts to a horizontal bar with various sizes of S hooks. Your BBQ set would go perfectly with that, I'll have to give it a whirl.

They look great !

Thanks! Hey, when you get the chance, post some pics of your "Cowboy Cookset". I do a lot of campfire cooking and dutch oven cooking.

Mark<><

Nice work Mark!! I like the leaf idea. I started a mess of BBQ tools yesrterday, finishing them this morning. They sell really well most places.
The ones I'm making today are from structural cable and take a little longer than normal. Have to weld up the cable first and draw it out. Then , of course, etch. That leaf idea would look good with patternwelded steel. Thanks for posting them!

I have a stash of about 18 steak turners that I made @ a year ago in addition to the other stash of newer more intricate ones. They have been tucked away waiting for me to add to other items I would sell at a fair/festival etc. I looked at them yesterday and as they were among the first ones I had made, they were functional yet not very "special" or particularly appealing. Their handle ends are nothing more than a simple curve with which to hang the turners on.

Since blacksmithing allows us to alter or repair past works it dawned on me that I should rework the "bland" ends. So this Saturday I will rework each one. Some will have leaves or animal heads on them. All will take on a new life. Being able to change what we make to fit a particular need or circumstance just amazes me. Man I love this hobby!

Mark <º))><