I Forge Iron

First cleaver

caotropheus

Greetings

This is my first cleaver. It was build out of a piece of broken plough disk I dig out of the soil. Sure it was buried in the soil for several years as you can see by the corrosion pitting on the blade. This was my most simple smith job: cut to shape the cleaver out of the original stock; flatten the steel; correct a bit of the existing bevel in the forge; anneal; drill the holes for the rivets and for storage; harden; temper; polish; fix the handle; voilà!
The annealing process took almost two days. First kept the cleaver inside wood stove red hot for several hours, while we were heating the house and then took almost one day to cool down buried inside the stove ashes. I hardened and tempered the cleaver as an axe. Hardened the all blade, including handle in oil and then tempered it in the kitchen oven for 1.5 hours at 200ºC. The handle wood is olive.

img1162q.jpg

Cuts like a dream, now I just need one of these to thoroughly test my new blade!

argentinosaurusAB.jpg

Very nice , I really like the look . what kind of steel is the blade ? plough steel varies quite a bit . Maybe some 1060 or 1045 ?

Bubba, I would like to answer you, but as I described before, it is just a bit of steel I found buried in the soil! Since I am in the first steps of my smith hobby, it was a very nice exercise.

Nice work, I like the pitting also
I made a cleaver in this same method about 15 years ago. I used a cleaver that I got from Yan Can Cook (Martin Yan) for the pattern. I used redwood for the handle and shoo goo to attach the handle to blade- 15 years and its still holding! I use the cleaver to chop up frozen chubs of raw dog food (we get it in a 5 lb log) I use the belt sander to resharpen it is fairly soft steel, I would say 1045 is probably what I have

Very nice work. I just sketched your cleaver in my "to do" book. Very clean design. Could you maybe post a few more pics from different angles. I'm wondering how you handled the bevel in particular. The corrosion seems to be a visual asset. I think that the pitting also prevents veggies from sticking to the blade.

Robert