I Forge Iron

Trenton I think

I have been using this anvil for a couple of years now and decided to ID it. Markings on the side are mostly obscured even after extensive cleaning, however the foot has clear markings as follows: Left side under horn '135', Following that to left 'A 147095', Under the heel is a 'U', on the sides appear to be the letters 'WISMITH' in 1/4 inch letters. These letters appear to be only a portion of what was there originally and I am thinking they were added during the life of the anvil.

Thank you for the help.

Hey there Meeekyh,
First, welcome to IFI. Chances are great that someone here can help you id your anvil. If possible could you add a few pictures showing different angles and the markings. Seeing is believing. The more angles and unique shapes we can see the more we can help. Have a blessed day.

Mark<><

Ya well this is like saying I have a car that is blue and it has a licsense plate # OU812. Can you tell me what kind of car it is?
Pictures dude, top, bottom, side

Somebody else already told me these things, and without the snark. Thanks though.
Also I believe the correct analogy for a serial number would be a VIN not a plate number.
At least I didn't say its anvil-shaped, or really heavy or metal-colored. ;-)

Nice anvil! I'd have send Trenton but I'm not an expert. (Is it just me or does the horn resemble the Hay Budden profile more?)

Anyway, Trenton would have been my first guess. I've got an 86 pound that is in simimlar condition. They are good anvils!

Oh P.S.: Blacksmiths generaly have a dry sense of humor which includes lots of sarcasim! Take it light hearted and "return fire" in he same spirit!

It is well nigh impossible to identify an anvil by just numbers and letters. Profile shape and location of numbers and letters are also important along with the configuration of those lettes and numbers. That's why pictures are so important.
Around the mid 1800's well over a MILLION POUNDS of anvils were imported annually from England, from several different companies.
Also a Trenton anvil may not be stamped in bold letters "TRENTON." Mine doesn't have the word "Trenton" anywhere on it.
Let's say "Mom and Pop's blacksmith supply" ordered a dozen Trenton anvils from England. (I think Trenton was in England.) Anyway, instead of "Trenton" being stamped on the side Mrs. Mom and Mr. Pop, got Trenton to stamp "Mom and Pop's blacksmith supply" on the side.

Trentons were made in Columbus Ohio as were the Arm and Hammer brand anvils (NOT Vulcan!)

Trenton, Arm & Hammer and Hay Budden anvils all tended toward the american styling of the London Pattern anvils with long horns and long slim heels making them quite loud in use.

Over here Peter Wright and Mousehole are probably the most common; but Wilkinson, William Foster, Henry Wright, Powell,...are not unknown (and for modern one the Vaughn and Brooks). Check Anvils in America; you can probably ILL it from your local library. Though note that Postman says he's identified about 250 English Anvil makers so far...

Often the "look" of the anvil can hint if it's from over the pond with english anvils tending toward a more squat "industrial" form and american getting the elongated horns and heels and "dainty" look.