I Forge Iron

Fe-C-Si-Mn steel

Has anyone any experience with steel with the following alloying:
C 0.56
Si 1.59
Mn 0.8

I would be able to buy that stuff for the price of mild steel. It only comes in size of 8mmx25mm (~1/3"x1"). That size could be used for making tongs, but I'm also wondering whether it would work for edged tools (axes, adzes...).

By googling I was able to find out that it is called TRIP steel.

TRIP steel is a high-strength steel typically used in the automotive industry. TRIP stands for "transformation induced plasticity." TRIP steel has a triple phase microstructure consisting of ferrite, bainite, and retained austenite. During plastic deformation and straining, the metastable austenite phase is transformed into martensite. This transformation allows for enhanced strength and ductility. It seems to me if it's heated to critical then "programming" previously described will be void. Since most smiths insert a high carbon wedge for an axe edge I would aleast give it a try. If for no other reason than being one up on us and sharing the knowledge.

only just spotted this thread.

that steel will be absolutely fine for axes and the like. It's very similar to EN45steel that we have in the UK, described as a silicon manganese spring steel.

Industrially used for coil and leaf springs of course, but I use it for big blades like billhooks and also for teaching as it's pretty tolerant of wayword forging temps. It's quite stiff under the hammer but does work nicely enough. It's used as the standard steel for reenactment swords here too. It won't hold the same kind of edge as a higher carbon steel, but it is tough as old boots and does hold a good enough edge for most.

looks like 9250 to me

I just logged in to write that it seems to be fairly similar to 9260 (less silicon than in 9260). So seeing your reply I did some quick googling, but I couldn't find any info on 9250?

Dave, it does seem to be more or less the same as EN45. I think I will make the couple hour drive to get some 60 meters of that stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I went and bought 120 meters of that steel. Should be enough for me for some years. Today I forged scrolling wrench and tongs out of it. Pretty tough stuff to forge. I'm glad to have a power hammer, hand forging those reigns would have worn me out.

post-810-0-07471000-1304276843_thumb.jpg

"AISI steels are very rare birds in Finland. EN45 is much more common in Europe" untrue! Generally they are the same steels with just a different name on them!

How many hoops do you expect a Finnish metallurgist to jump through in order to meet AISI/SAE specifications? (Without charging extra for it, that is?)