I Forge Iron

Brightning Aluminum

mcostello

After aluminum has been mechanically finished by say 600 or 1200 grit, you might try brassow. The can might say not to use it on aluminum, probably because of chemistry so thoroughly wash hands and discard rags safely after procedure. The middle piece is bronze and aluminum and was done on a lathe with emery cloth and then brassow and then dish soap and water. Has looked the same ever since. Good luck. Spears.

post-9545-0-52399400-1301505801_thumb.jp

It also depends on what you mean by "brightening". I quick dip in water with some drain cleaner like Drano added will etch the surface of the aluminum almost white but with a mat finish not shiny. Depending on the specific alloy of the aluminum you may get different results. Test a small part first. Also be carefull as the drain cleaner contains sodium hydroxide (lye) and will produce fumes you really don't want to breath.

Ward

In the UK there is a product called Solvol Autosol specifically made for polishing alloys and stainless, Car enthusiasts and Motor cyclists use it on casings, covers, wheels exhausts etc etc

I would think similar products are available to bikers and motorists in other countries

Brasso I believe is ammonia based (certainly smells like it)

There is a product made by ZEP called "Alumabrite" they use at truck washes to remove oxcides and clean aluminum on trucks. Works great I have used it to clean aluminum pipe for oxygen atmosphere use. Also works great for rusting.

Aluminum can be readily mirror polished. Is that what you are asking about? If you just want to brightn an existing item, Never Dull works very well.

What I "remember" was putting Aluminum in Trisodium Phosphate to brighten it up. Would work with oxidized metal, just not a mirror polish. Tried it and does not work now. Don't know if it's my "memory" or something else. It would be nice to brighten up bar stock without polishing.

What I "remember" was putting Aluminum in Trisodium Phosphate to brighten it up. Would work with oxidized metal, just not a mirror polish. Tried it and does not work now. Don't know if it's my "memory" or something else. It would be nice to brighten up bar stock without polishing.

Havn't had much experience with TSP. I remember it is a cleaner. Many chemical preparations are not what they used to be. Cuprinol does'nt have any copper in it any more, Anti-sieze no longer contains mercury, both are safer, neither as effective. The things that were very easy to acomplish when asbestos was readily available are difficult at best these days. It seems we must find new ways for many processes.