I Forge Iron

New shop and welding electric problem

gonefishin

Well, little dilemma....building a new shop from scratch in the backyard. Let me start by saying I have no electricity skills whatsoever. I have a lincoln arc welder that I need to be able to weld with and it has a big industrial plug on it, 225 I think. We got it estimated that it would take around $400-500 to get electricity ran from the power lines/my house to the shop, PLUS more money to get the outlet itself installed.

I can't really afford the $500, is there any other way to be able to run my welder or I am in a rut here? I know it isn't good to use a generator for them so, looks like I'm going to have to pay the $500 if I want to weld or am I missing another option?

I've used most of the options, I have a Lincoln 225 (almost 50 years old now) My shop is wired for it, but I have a 100 foot extension cord so I can work outside the shop, near the house or even at friend's houses. I usually plug into a stove outlet (50 amp)I also have a 6500 watt generator (which set me back the $500 you mentioned). It works fine to carry the welder around the ranch but it's a gas guzzler, I'd rather be plugged in.

When i moved in to my house, the shop (12 by 40 metal building) was set up for wood working. It was only wired with some plugs run from the main panel of the house. I paid an electrician to upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp panel and run a 100 amp sub panel to the shop. I worked it out with the electrician to do the manual work myself (concrete cutting and digging for the conduit), and he gave me a price off $1500 to do everything else. I thought it was well worth it. I cut concrete from the main panel to the shop, excavated the ditch, and when they were finished i buried and poured concrete to match existing. They installed the new panel, brought everything up to code, and installed my welder plug, and some extra plugs. Now i have enough power to run my welders and plasma cutter, and my big compressor. I have to change plugs for the welders and such, but i am glad i did it right in the first place. It is super nice to be able to run what i want in the shop with out having to unplug appliances in the house!

Can you pick the culprit out of this linup? link

Note: the ratings on that chart are the maximum a plug type can handle - not the voltage or current your welder needs.

Not that I understand how this has anything to do with this thread, but I am game... whats your question about these. I can help you sort it out. Each style is for a specific voltage/amp load, they have this so you can not accidentally plug into the wrong power supply.

Not that I understand how this has anything to do with this thread, but I am game... whats your question about these. I can help you sort it out. Each style is for a specific voltage/amp load, they have this so you can not accidentally plug into the wrong power supply.

Agreed that it has little or nothing to do with the thread,but for my info, once we have a voltage load, say 220 - 50A, I can see progressing from 3 wire to 4 wire, I can even understand modifying the crowfoot into one with a distinct neutral, but why have five different standard plugs within that 3 wire, 220 - 50A class?

Agreed that it has little or nothing to do with the thread,but for my info, once we have a voltage load, say 220 - 50A, I can see progressing from 3 wire to 4 wire, I can even understand modifying the crowfoot into one with a distinct neutral, but why have five different standard plugs within that 3 wire, 220 - 50A class?

I don't see 5 dif for 50 amp 220 V.