I Forge Iron

you KNOW the answer! Replace it!!!! Dies are dirt cheap compared to medical bills... let alone the cost of losing sight or some other disability! Just yesterday I noticed a chipped hammer in the smithy. It was just a small corner chip but careful examination revealed a tiny crack running up the side of the face. I thought about reforging it but the hammer seemed faulty from the beginning (I think it was a german hammer too)and so I determined that its working days were done. I immediately cut the handle off so that it would not be inadvertently used and tossed it into a pile of iron from which I may yet salvage the peen end for a hardy or some such thing. This hammer was only a couple of years old... but let's face the facts... it was dangerous... as are your dies!

I bought a LG with a chipped bottom die. the chip is fair sized but other than that not worn much at all and still plenty tall. Should I heat it, weld it, and re-treat it or should I just get another die? Has anyone run into a similar situation?

Hard to say what a 'fair sized' chip is without pics or further info. You also don't say where the chip is?

But if it wasn't too big and the location was doable I would probably grind it out and blend it in. If you're hitting HOT steel it shouldn't be an issue.

Bob

Hard to say what a 'fair sized' chip is without pics or further info. You also don't say where the chip is?

But if it wasn't too big and the location was doable I would probably grind it out and blend it in. If you're hitting HOT steel it shouldn't be an issue.

Bob

I shall attempt to send a picture. The chip is a triangle shape about a half inch at the base and maybe an inch long. It is on the back side left-hand corner of the bottom die. these are fullering dies on a 100# Little Giant. i dont mean to get cheap but buying the hammer, getting it home, ordering a spring and toggle arm links, and getting a motor just about broke me. Had to jump on it though - this is the first hammer that was within my grasp and the one that i wanted. i have two good size projects in the bag and that income will allow me to get a new set of dies in a month or so. before then i would like to get the hammer operational and i think maybe these dies will do for a short time. i have my eye on the combination dies; i have used them on a different 100# LG and really liked them for most forging. thanks for all the feedback

I hear you on the expenses adding up...but only you can calculate the risk. IMO, damaged tools are dangerous and repaired ones are too. Last point here...how much work can you accomplish injured??? Just sayin'....
See what Sid/Keri have at LG. maybe look into the bottom die being one of his interchangables??